It makes me so sad...

That alot of women out there still believe that when you're pregnant, it's not a baby, it's a fetus. That BABY inside of you gets the hickups, kicks your belly, plays with you while inside your womb. yes, plays. i played with both my kids while pregnant, tap my belly, they kicked back. all the time.

How can a MOTHER believe that the baby they've been carrying inside them for 9 months is just a "fetus"? I hate that word. the only reason they made up that word is so that women don't get emotional about killing that BABY inside of them. cuz that's exactly what it is, a baby. you get the ultra sound picture of that baby, you actually see the arms, legs, and facial features. you see the mouth moving, practicing on breathing.
Saying that's not a baby is just ignorant. might as well not give that "fetus" to you after hours of labor. obviously you didn't care about it while pregnant, so why after you have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont like the word either. Ive even heard some women on here call them "parasites", because "technically that is what they are". Ew..

Unfortunately OP- there's nothing we can do to change their minds about it, and nothing they can do to change ours. We just have to understand that all people think differently. <3
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I thought a baby was only considered a fetus for a certain amount of time? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I'm pro-choice but against late term abortion. But I know what you're talking about. There was a big chance that my kiddo this time might be born with a severe disability that would have left her with a short and painful life, so my SO and I had talked about an abortion as an option. But we decided to wait and see, and she's fine, but I knew the first time I felt her kick that there would be no abortion. I'm just not emotionally strong enough to go through with it, but I support other women in their right to choose.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• A fetus is considered a fetus til it's born and becomes an infant. Baby isn't a scientific term. The word fetus wasn't made just for abortion reference. And thinking that people who use the term fetus don't care about their children is the true ignorance. I'm pro-choice. I believe it's a fetus til the mother decides it's a baby or whatever other term. This doesn't make me any less caring or appreciative of my DD. I can easily say that I care far more about my DD than some women who think that all embryos/fetuses are babies from conception.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• That was actually a really good way to describe how I feel as well, jus1jess.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm sorry that it makes you so sad. ;(
    Just an FYI...
    According to the online dictionary a fetus is defined as an unborn mammal after the 8th week of pregnancy to birth. I'm not saying this to make you sadder, it's just a technical/medical term. My baby was my baby when he was in my tummy and even now he is my 12yo baby. Just because some use the technical/medical terminology does not mean they don't love their children.
    I know that this is an emotional issue, and one that all of us will just have to agree to disagree about. There will never be a meeting of the minds on this issue. This is just debate. Try not to let it get to you.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's a tough issue. I believe in pro choice with the hope that those terminating a pregnancy will do so right away. I don't think there can be a blanket statement on this because it's not a black and white issue, there are many layers to this.
    Anonymous

• It's ridiculous to think that pro-choice mothers don't care about their children. One thing you know for sure about a pro-choice mother is that she isn't carrying her child because she feels she HAS to, or that it's some mistake she's trying to make the best of.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thanks JJK. I'm not pro-abortion nor do I see my child as anything less than a child. I'm pro-CHOICE. I believe society needs to have this choice. It doesn't make it a choice I would make for myself. Believing that OTHER women deserve to keep their choices legal doesn't make ME any less of a caring mom. I can support PETA, but not go vegan. I can march in a gay parade but have a husband. Some of us actually care about the freedom of others.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i know i hate the term also its sad. i cant take it when people say its not a baby its a fetus..really what is the difference?? you can be all for abortion but there is no way to justify it, you are ending the life of a baby/fetus or whatever you want to call it..there is just no way to justify it
    ARRI23

Answer by ARRI23 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i will never have an abortion but i feel for the people whos babies die/aredying/are incapable of life i mean honestly im not sure if i could go though delivery BUT that did not give dr tiller the right to abort perfectly healthy babies
    mom2jade

Answer by mom2jade at 10:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009