Am I supposed to trim my Iris'

Should I cut off the dead flowers now that they are done blooming, or just leave them alone? If I do trim them, do I just cut the buds, or the whole stalk?

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 9:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would wait till the stalks are completely dried. Then you can easily pull the stalks out. Be sure and leave the green leaves till they die and fall over. The plant needs the nutrients from the leaves to rebloom next year. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Martha Stewart has some info on this so check there but I think she says cut them down to one inch stalks leaving foliage.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You can pull the dead flowers off. and you can trim the stalks down to the ground if you wish. They will not be as productive next year . But they will not die either. I say just pull off the dead blooms and let them go they way they are supose too.
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 12:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009