Cures for whining? HELP!

My DD is 3.5 and has always been very wekk behaved and still is but she has gotten to where she wants to whine and cry over everything! It is driving me crazy! I thought they went through this before now! What can I do about it? I usually just ignore it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I tell my 3 year old that I'm leaving the room and to "come get me when you're finished whining." Eventually they'll get tired of you leaving.
    mybabies

Answer by mybabies at 9:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I tell my son to go to his room and he can't come out til he smiles. After the first day, as soon as he whines, i give him "the look" and he smiles and stops.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The best "cure" I have found for my 5 year old, is when she starts whining I stand there and tell her " come on, you can do better than that, you aren't loud enough you have to do it like this" then I start whining really loud. She gets mad at me and stops, I have been doing this since she was about 3. It works pretty much all of the time. She still whines I don't think that stops, she just doesn't do it for more that 2 minutes now.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i tell my dd to speak english cause mommy's ears dont understand whinning and i ignore her intill she starts acting like a human again. or if shes really bad and is on my last nerve i kick her butt to a part of the house where i can hear it. in my moms house its up stairs. then the whinning usally goes into a screaming fit and i dont let her come back down intill she is calm
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I laugh and walk away. When she is done I have her come back sit in my lap and tell me what was bothering her today. I read her that old book, the no good very bad, horrible terrible (whatever) very bad day book. When was it written the 70's, 80's? Oh well, it cheers her up. Then we go for a walk.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• IGNORE the whining. Say, "Please use your words." Do not respond to whining in anyway other than saying, I don't understand whining, please talk nicely. Walk away if you have to. I hate whining and didn't even respond to it when my son was a year old. I always use the "Use your words please." He may not have been able to talk at 1 yr but he sure didn't need to whine. Do not give her what she wants until she talks nicely without whining.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If my kids don't look happy then they go to bed until they look happy. Whether its crying, whining or a frowny face. I don't want to see
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Unhappy kids…
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Do it back at them.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2009