another nursing question, please help!!!!!!!!!!!

she will actually be 3 mons on the 13th of this month. Somestimes If I go to the grocery store for a bit or whatever, i take a bottle of Bmilk w/ me. she has not had a bottle in 2 days. Yesterday she started refusing my right side, as soon as i start to get her in position she would scream!!! but then she was fine on my left. well this evening she refused both sides and screamed, i knew she was hungry. it had been 3 hrs since i fed her last. Im not one to make her wait it out to see if she eats. so i made her a bottle of formula and she sucked it right down. (my milk was frozen and she was a SCREAMIN!) She usually nurses well at night but a few nights ago She refused but then i realized she hadn't pooped is 3days and she was crampy and spit up alot. but then after her bath tonight i offered her me and she nursed for a few min. she wasnt hungry. could this be the beginning of a nurseing strike? ever happen to you?

daisy6878

Asked by daisy6878 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it could be the beginnng of a strike,.but if you REALLY want to keep nursing drop the formula all together...she WILL eat if shes hungry.no formula if you really want to breastfeed.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• she probably wants the bottle because the flow is faster,.she has to work to get your milk out..(i forgot to add that) but she will eat,..i promise!:0 just dont give in and give her formula or your supply will dry up.good luck
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The first 2 answers are very correct!!!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• thank you. I do pump if i miss a feeding even though its not the same.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• just dont give in!:) she will eat from the breast when she is hungry enough.if she knows you give in to her wanting a bottle of formula,..then she going to keep wanting formula and continue dening the breast. give her the best and dont even make a bottle an option.its not that she doesnt want breastmilk im sure its just the bottle gives her the other faster..no work for baby!lol
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• its obviously nipple prefrence then. so no more bottles for a good week or so!! that would be fine cuz im a stay at home mama!!
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i forgot to mention that when she does nurse its about 10min max every 2.5 hrs. I was worried she wasnt getting full.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• well if she pulls off the breats after only 10 minutes and isnt fussy,.then maybe she did get full.but just keep trying to offer only breastmilk no formula. they also have breastlike nipples for bottles.it has them suck the exact same way that she would on your breast.the exact same flow.so you could try that and she'll end up just bored with a bottle. also try offering the breast more often.not that 2.5 hours isnt enough time in between but just spend time skin to skin and offer breast every 30 minutes to make her WANT the breast again. if you have anymore q's just PM me!happy to help:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i use the ones w/ the bags. she wont take the fat playtex ones. they have the breast flow. maybe that will help. she wont latch on to others. she cant.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Babies get very good at sucking. What would take then 30 minutes as a NB can take them 5 minutes when they get older.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009