• In the Spotlight:

Blankie-be-gone

my son, Matthew, who is almost 3, has YET to give up his beloved

CafeKandace

Asked by CafeKandace at 10:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have seen some things that it's okay for them to have their blankie (my sister will be 30 this year and still has her's. seriously, we have found it in her pillowcase and she doesn't hide it, it's just a comfort thing I guess). It's a comfort to him. Maybe though, you could start setting limits with it... Like only at nap time. He is still going through alot of changes, and I'm sure having that constant is an important comfort to him.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son has a stuff tigger that has seen way better days...its disgusting...its gone everywhere with us since he was 11 months old. Recently I told him it was his bed time only friend and tigger had to stay in his room or go into the trash, those were his only options. He was not having me throw tigger away so he settled with keeping him in his room. I don't mind if he sleeps with it because i'm 22 and still have a bear i sleep with, but i didn't want tigger joining us at dinner anymore. Maybe if you tell your son his beloved item can either stay in his room or go in the trash and mean it he will make the same decision as mine? Good luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i slept w/my blankie til i moved out of my parents house when i got married, i still have it its in a box now. and i slept w/my teddy til then too. so did all my brothers and sisters, and the one whos still home is 17 and no way would he ever admit to his buddies but his barney blankie is still hidden in his pillowcase. my daughter is 3 1/2 has a stuffed elmo and her blankie but they stay in her room. i told her if they came out of the room they might get lost, so since then she has stopped pulling them out every morning.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son has a blue stuffed dog that goes everywhere with us. I really dont mind. He loves it and it does get washed once a week at least. I think it has really helped in potty training. B/c he started out by taking the dog to the potty and now he is doing it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• So?
    He may take it off to college wtih him, hiding it in a box at the back of his closet. So what?
    He may decide tomorrow that he is "too big" for a lovey. Again, so what?

Let him keep it for as long as he wants it. I promise, if he still has it when he gets married, he will have picked a wonderful, understanding, loving girl.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't see the problem. My 4-year-old still sleeps with his and can for as long as he wants to. I don't let him take it to stores/restaurants, etc. but at home, he can cuddle it all day if that's what he wants.
    My2J.A.P.s

Answer by My2J.A.P.s at 2:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009