female doctor?

is it okay to have my teenage (17) son go to a female doctor for a check up
and what do they do at that age? prostate exam? hernia exam?

(don't say ask him. something else)

MissLisa7657

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't see why not, unless you know he might feel uncomfortable.
    What does his dad think?
    Anonymous

• I think its fine. They do not normally do prostate exams..
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't think they would do a prostate exam unless there was a need to.

And just like with women, anything that would require him to remove clothes would have a second professional in the room.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It depends on what your 17 year old son wants. He is old enough to decide what he would be more comfortable with having a physical like that. My son is almost 13 and he wants a male doctor. We are switching from a pediatrician to a regular doctor and he begged me to take him to a male doctor and I am. I want my son to be comfortable.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't think there's anything wrong with a male going to a female Dr. Just the same as a female going to a male Dr. To the Dr, you are simply a patient, it's nothing sexual or intimate or anything like that - they've seen it all, and on way more people than we can imagine. Besides, usually there is a "standby" in the room that is the same gender of the patient if the patient is of the opposite sex, or at least you can request one.

But, if your SON has a problem with it, then I would say take him to a male Dr. But, at 17, you should be preparing him to make these decisions on his own, and YOUR feelings of comfort with a female Dr or not shouldn't be a deciding factor. It's his health, his Dr visit, and his decision.

btw - they might check for a hernia and need to check his groin area, but at 17, they aren't checking his prostate.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Hoepfully no one takes offense to this..i dont mean it to be....but guys at that age usually prefer a woman..to them its like ew a man is gonna touch "my balls" "thats gay".....im sorry but thats all ive ever heard..your right when hes older hernias and anything with his butt it may be different..but if your son has any type of issues with men around his privacies...it could be a dramatic day...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Sometimes my son's doctor who is male goes on vacation and a female dr. takes his place. But never for an exam down there. I would switch . I am not comfortable with that and my son already much younger made it clear to me he does not like not even a male looking there.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• no, there is nothing wrong with taking son to a female dr. but i am wondering why you say in your post not to ask him? when i was 16 in high school and i found out about pap smears and breast exams. the teacher who told us about them asked each of the girls in the class, who we would be more comfortable with. a male or female dr. ? and it was about equally divided. some girls didn't want a women because of the girl/girl thing and some girls didn't want a man because they just couldn't conceive of letting a man look at them in that position.

binker55

Answer by binker55 at 3:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son is 17 and has aways had a female doctor. His pediatrician was a woman, and when he turned 12, he switched to my family doctor who is also female. Both work in the same clinic, so so the transition was easy. He asked to make the change because he didn't want a "baby doctor" anymore. I was in the examination room the first time he saw our family doctor, but after that, he has been alone with her for the exam. She doesn't check his prostate, but does the "turn and cough" and a visual check. He's fine with it.
    DRobinson

Answer by DRobinson at 10:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010