break the news

i am almost 5 weeks pregnant and i was wondering how i should tell my four year old she wants a sibling but i am worried because she is very hyper and likes to hurt people she finds hurting my niece who is 4 as well hilarious what do i do to stop her behavior before the baby comes?

kamrynsmommie

Asked by kamrynsmommie at 10:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i wouldn't tell her yet, IF something were to happen she may think its her fault. and at that young they don't get the concept of time (not that far ahead at least) i'd start to talk about it around the 6 month mark or if you show sooner and she asks. as far as the violence, just crack down more on it. teach her that it hurts peoples feelings and makes them sad when she hurts them. and make her apologize, then send her to her time out or whatever her punishment is.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i broke the news to mine later in my pregnancy, once i was showing and she could feel her move. my daughter was 2 at the time, however. she didn't understand at all what was going on inside my belly and that she was going to be a sister. i would just wait a little longer, perhaps til you find out the sex (if you are going to find out the sex), that way you can tell her she's having a little brother or sister. you two can go shopping for baby stuff and let her pick things out, getting her involved is the best way to help her cope with a new baby. once baby is here, let her get diapers for you, hold baby's bottle, anything she can to help will make her feel important and like a big girl. congrats on the pregnancy =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I told my daughter when I found out with number two, she was 2 1/2 at the time. I also told her the day I found out with #3, she was 4 1/2 at that time.

I would stress that she is to be careful with the baby and make strict consequences for hurting others starting NOW things that make it NOT fun, taking away toys, tv something that is her FAVORITE thing. Whatever is an effective discipline for her so she gets the idea that it is not fun at all to hurt others.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• sign her up for a sibling class closer to the due date... most hospitals offer them
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• When it gets closer to your due date you could also get her a "baby sister" or "brother" doll and practice nice, gentle touches.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would wait until closer to yuor due date. The being mean thing I would punish her for being mean to other kids.We have tht problem here but we have 8 kids here at my house. Imade a mistake of telling my kids when I had just found out I was pregnant then had to explain it when we lost our baby. try to explain that to a 1, 3, & 5 yr old. Yeah, so I would wait to tell her.
    mommyof302

Answer by mommyof302 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009