HELP FEEDING QUESTION

My baby is a 1 week old, and he is constantly hungary, i mostly give him breast milk he gets 2oz every 2 to 3 hrs, and in the evening i give him formula so that he sleeps through the night, he can usually go 4 to 5 hrs on formula, but during the day hes constantly hungary and cries, how much should he be drinking at this point. His doctor said 1oz every 2 hrs, but thats not enough for him.

BigSurprise2

Asked by BigSurprise2 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is constantly hungry b/c he is trying to build up ur milk supply. r u in any breastfeeding groups on here?? Formula does not usually help them sleep through the night, it has less calories and less fat then breastmilk. Formula could be the reason he is fussy during the day. it usually creates gas/constipation... I would cut out ALL formula and just nurse as much as he wants. how do u know he is getting 2 ounces?? u exclusivly pump?? breastfed babies act hungry all the time, they may want 2 use ur nipple as a pacifier. He's only been outta the womb for 1 week, he wants ur warmth etc. Good Luck 2 u and like I said b4 please join a breastfeeding group if u haven't all ready, there are a lot of moms that understand what ur going through and how 2 help u!
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 10:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Hey sweetie, every baby is different, so don't panic. My son was the same. It seemed he was constantly hungry, and my daughter seemed to just kinds snack throughout the day. They were both only breastfed. The important thing is to not doubt yourself. Your baby knows when he's hungry and when he's full. Trust your body and know that your baby is going to eat when he's hungry, and he may also just want to pacify himself with you, and that's ok to do too. I had others making me think my milk wasn't enough, but then I realized that my baby was growing like they should, and gaining weight. Unless you dry up, don't worry about him not getting enough, if he wants it, your body will make it. And don't go off of how much you can pump, because your body will produce more when your baby is eating if he needs it. Hope this helps.

http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 10:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• cut out the formula.it has less fat than your breastmilk. i would feed on demand.when he wants your breast give it to him! like the first poster said hes only been out of the womb for a week,.he needs your love and warmth! just nurse when HE wants it.formula i dont agree with but hey thats just my opinion. hes also trying to build up your supply so you can breastfeed for quite sometime.just let him on the breast when he wants it,.he may just need comfort sometimes,.not milk so just let him.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I know how you feel!!! My Ds was the same at 1 week you might not have your milk in yet just keep BF when your milk gets in he will be sastified. Keep in mind that they have enough nutrients in there little bodies to tied them over until your milk comes in. Let him suck the more he sucks the faster your milk comes in and builds up. Now your milk is going to like a ton then it might cut down then be a ton its justs your body regulating itself. Just keep feeding as normal now your nipples will be fine through week one week 2 they get sore and week 3 you might cry through feedings use your breathing skills you learn to use in labor. I believe if you can get past those first 3 weeks your golden! Please if you need support Im here!!! I have been BF for 6 months now Im just stopping only because my DS wont take the boob anymore. But it will be ok just stay calm and do not give him any water!!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree, stop the formula. It is perfectly normal for a NB to nurse a lot. Not only does BM digest FAST, they have tiny tiny tummies, AND they've just been shoved through the birth canal and into a strange new world, they want to do what's most comforting.

Your baby is only a week old, have patience. There is no need to expect him to sleep through the night!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Babies need to nurse 10-14 times in 234 hours in the first few weeks. Spend lots of time laying down with your baby "skin to skin" (you bare from the waist up, baby in only a diaper) . It increases mother's milk supply. It helps to "organize" the baby's behavior so that she learns to feed more easily. Skin-to-skin contact also keeps your baby warm and secure and helps her use all her energy to grow.
    Are you doing any direct BFding? That may help.
    After spending an hour or two in skin-to-skin contact, many babies wake up, and start to show signs of readiness to breastfeed. Baby turns her head from side-to-side (rooting) and makes scooping motions with her hands. When a baby does this, she is starting to look for the breast. She will start to scootch downward, toward one of your breasts. Just let her scoot herself down toward the breast, and find it herself.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I heard that when a baby breastfeeds they drink more it doesn't hold them over as long as formula. I was told feed on command so when the baby is hungry feed the baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Anon - that's cause breast milk is more easily digested than formula. :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Hi well the pediatricain told me do breast milk during the day and formula at night, he only gets up 1 at night since it holds him over, there is more calories with formula, which i didnt know, i dont breast feed my baby becasue he gets aggrivated and just screams so i pump every 3 hrs ive been making enough milk so far so i dont mind the pumping.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2009