what is emotional abuse?

Have you gone or going through it with someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• its when a person gets inside your head and knows exactly what buttons to push. they constantly belittle you until you feel insubordinate or less of a person or just undeserved of anything.
    Anonymous

• My opinion is that emotional abuse is a significant other constantly putting you down to make you feel like you are nobody. They will make you feel like everything is your fault and criticize everything about you and everything you do. To the point where you feel like it is true and you believe them
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• What the other 2 pp said. Plus isolating you from your friends and family, denying you your basic rights&decisions (telling you what to eat, where you can go, what to wear, etc.), screaming and yelling at you.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I've been there.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 10:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• O. And for the second question. Yes. My ds's bio father started being abusive towards me after I got pregnant.
    My husband treats me very well and I am the happiest I have ever been. Not just because of that, but it helps. :)
    Good luck to you.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• anything that messes with ur emotions.
    pretty simple.
    n yes, i was emotionally n mentally abused.
    muh dad would say anything to me to hurt muh feelings n make me feel bad, like calling me fat when he knew i was anorexic n starving muhself. awful thing to go through.
    ive never been physically abused, but i always said id rather be hit n then be put down like i was : /
    momma323

Answer by momma323 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have never dealt with it. But I belive it is when someone tries to make you feel worthless. Tries to make you feel less than them.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Believe my hubby does it to our son. Mocks him, calls him names, barks at him constantly, seems like just his presence is a nuisance to him sometimes.
    Anonymous

• I have talked to a lawyer already. (from above)
    Anonymous

• The American Medical Association AMA describes Emotional Abuse as: "when a child is regularly threatened, yelled at, humiliated, ignored, blamed or otherwise emotionally mistreated. For example, making fun of a child, calling a child names, and always finding fault are forms of emotional abuse.http://www.findcounseling.com/journal/child-abuse/emotional-abuse.html

This defines it for children but I see no difference in what abusers do to children and to other adults. Either way, they are bullies that belittle, are cruel, cold, ignore, terrorize and verbally assault others.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2009