Is it time to potty train?

My son just turned two and my mother in law is nagging my to death that he should all ready be potty trained. I always thought that you generally started training them between 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Is that to late

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• not at all. he will let you know when he is ready. if he tells you when hes done something in his diaper than that is usually the beginning. my daughter began at 28 months and there are children well into their 3rd or even 4th year that are still learning. you can certainly try now if you think he's ready but don't let anyone pressure him into it bc that could be a negative experience for him. rewards are the best way to potty train and good luck
    Anonymous

• i used to work at a child care center and i hated it when the moms would bring the kids in diapers but expected us to do the training with out them helping. this job is better done with people that care for the child that would pick up some of the load. when you finally decide to do it just remember that you cannt go back and forth, for at least two weeks, have him wear big boy undies no matter what... except at night you might want him to wear pull ups or other kind of training pants (no diapers it gives the wrong message). just take in consideration this; does he stay dry for long periods of time? does he go around the same time of the day? can he talk enough to let you know that his diaper is soiled? if no then he might no be ready, only you who spend most of the time with him can decide... people will always have opinions take in the good leve the bad... God bless you and your little one =)
    Getze

Answer by Getze at 10:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i cant say yes or no but i can tell you if you bring out the potty chair and get him use to it being around and you tell him what its for it wont be so stressful for him when he is ready, it will also get your mil off your back she will think your trying Lol
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 10:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Every child is different when they are ready to potty train, but my personal belief and experience are that the younger you can get them potty trained, the easier it will be for the both of you. Again, this is my opinion, but if you wait until they are 3 or 4 to start the process, they are so used to going in a diaper that it takes a lot more time and effort to get them to use the toilet consistantly. My suggestion would be to start taking your son into the bathroom with you every time you are in there. Explain to him what you are doing and get excited when you "potty" in the big girl toilet. Let him clap and get excited with you. Tell him that's where big boys go potty too. I know it sounds gross, but get him involved with the process. I did this with my son for about a month and one day he decided he wanted to do it himself. I have potty training steps if you are interested. Please feel free to pm me.
    Garionsmommy

Answer by Garionsmommy at 11:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• To each their own. Everyone is different, work in own pace. My daughter just turned 18 months and I feel she is ready to learn. She's telling me when she has poop...she's just showing signs that she would be a good learner. So, I just bought a potty training toilet for her.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I've read that little boys on average usually are closer to 36 months old before grasping the concept. Every child does differ, but I have no friends with little boys that have had success that early.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would tell her that she is more than welcome to take him and potty train him...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009