My son's father likes to let him watch UFC fighting and now he is mimicking the fighting on his stuff animals and anyone else he call pull down. My son is gonna be two on the 29th. I feel he shouldn't be watching it and I wanted some other opinions.

Imom3

Asked by Imom3 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• im very strict on what my ds can watch.. but i let him watch starwars, and pirates of the carribean cause he likes them.. i jsut make sure he knows when its "pirate"time and when its normal time
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My answer's probably not what you want to hear, but all my kids watch cagefighting all the time --- on TV & in person. My husband's a cagefighter.

We make it clear to them that they can "play" fight w/ each other ONLY, & they do really good with it. If it goes to far & someone gets a little too rough, that ends the UFC play for the day. Even at age 1 or 2, we'd just have to remind them "Only with daddy". That might seem young for them to comprehend it, but it didn't take long for them to figure it out.

If you don't want him to watch it --- well, that' between you & your son's dad. It's a bonding thing around this house.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Maybe it's just me. This is my first boy. I have two girls. I didn't grow up around any boys my age all girls.
    Imom3

Answer by Imom3 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I kind of buy into all the studies that suggest young children have difficulty with blurring of pretend and real life when exposed to a lot of violence in video games and TV. I feel there is almost always something more educational for Daddy and DS to do than watch TV together, espeically any TV shows that mimic fighting.

But that's JMHO, every family has to do what is right for them!!
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my husband started doing the same thing, but i voiced my opinion and told him that i dont want our son to watch something so violent and he agreed, thankfully. no offense Laura. My husband is hookd on it, lol.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• your son is a little young but if his father wants him to continue to watch the ufc fights .. i would say that as soon as he is old enough i think 3 or four he MUST enroll him in either karate or jutisiu..or whatever. mixed martial arts he thinks is best or u think is best . this way he realizes self discipline and the time and place for these aggressive type of behaviors.. my dh watches it and i already told him that our son cant watch it until he can be part of karate or some mixed martial arts activity..and i would make him pay for it also good luck !!!!!!!
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009