Breastfeeding or pumping?

Is pumping breastmilk and putting it in a bottle for your baby a possibility? Like all the time? I really am not attracted to the whole baby on my nipple picture

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I pumped exclusively after my son started refusing the breast at 6 months..it is a lot harder than breastfeeding. It is possible but i would recommend nursing the first weeks to get your supply going (maybe you will discover that its not strange at all to have a baby nursing!)
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, but you won't usually have as large of a supply as when you breastfeed.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• so the consistant pumping wouldn't stimulate lactation as consistant baby on tit action would?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• your supply is based on baby to breast a pump is ok but you'll have a reallly hard time making enough
    plus that is a lot of extra work a lot
    try baby to breast first you'll see how easy it is after a few days
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It is possible but many women experience trouble substaining a supply when exclusively pumping.

I know here in America breast are really sexualized and this might seem like a really out there thing to do but it's really not bad at all and once you start it feels completely normal.

I personally have no desire to be married to the pump when I can provide the good stuff straight from the tap. Plus when you BREASTfeed instead of bottle feed breastmilk your baby will get the benefits of proper oral and facial development.
    Anonymous

• No. The pumping isn't exactly like a baby's suction. Plus having the baby actually at the breast stimulates hormones and other things (I'm so not sure of the technical terms, lol) that help supply and such. Breastfeeding was weird for me at first, but I managed for a month before I dried up. You can always join a breastfeeding group on here...but be warned: Some moms will knock you for choices especially if you go to formula. I say do what you are comfortable with just as long as baby gets fed. :)
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yes thats what im planning on doing due to the fact that i want to make sure how much she is eating. But you can do this it just takes a lot of time
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No the consistant pumping will not keep your milk supply as adaquet as nursing a baby would because babies are MUCH more effective at emptying the breast than a pump is.

Also just think of all the pumping milk, storing it, warming it up, sterilizing bottles. etc. that you won't have to do as much if you put the baby to your breast!

PLUS some women don't respond to the pump at all and can only hand pump! That could take for flipping ever if you are exclusively pumping.
    Anonymous

• You can know how much baby is getting just by watching the diapers. If baby is have 6-8 wet diapers a day than you know he's getting enough. No need for measuring! :)
    Anonymous

• sometimes nursing can be weird at first, but once you get use to it its such a bonding experience, and plus it saves a lot of time!!!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009