umbilical cord

This will probably seem like a dumb question, especially since I am not a first time mom....But, I can't remember how it was with my 1st son. Just wondering if it's normal for the belly button area to be a little bloody when the umbilical cord detaches...Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughters was fine until 2 weeks. It started bleeding and the doctor had to put silver nitrate on it to stop the bleeding. It feel off about a week later. I would at least call the doctor in the morning and see what they say.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my sons just fell off a few days ago and he had his 2 week check up today. last night he had his first tub bath and after he got out he had almost like a scab but you could tell it wasn't a scab if that makes sense. it was scab tissue but wasn't spread out it was more clumped up. i asked the doc about it today b/c my daughter didn't have that when hers fell off, he said some minor bleeding, scabbing, and scab looking tissue are all normal. to not treat it at all (except for bleeding you can put a clean washcloth on it to stop the bleeding) but not to put anything on it and just let it heal on its own. he said if it was more than just minor bleeding though it would not be considered normal and if that happens to take him in to be seen. sorry its long, but was just trying to explain where i got the info. hope that helps a bit
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thanks so much. He has his 2 wk check up tomorrow...so, we'll see what the doc says.
    Anonymous