Is "DaDa" really "Daddy?" Follow up question to "What was your childs first word?"

My son has been saying "dadadada" for weeks now. I do not consider it to be his way of saying "Daddy" because he has never known his father (he died) and he can't possibly hear that word enough to be saying it. I could understand if he said it anytime a picture of his father was placed in front of him but he can be doing anything and will throw in "dadada" in with other baby chatter. Now when he said "cat" a couple of days ago he was looking at her with intent and everytime he has said it since he has been looking at either our cat or a cat on a video of his. I have heard that "da-da" is usually a baby's first word because the sylables are easy to say or it is just baby talk that is misunderstood for "daddy." It takes a lot more effort to say "mama." What do you think? When your child said "da-da" did you know for sure it meant "Daddy?"

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 11:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friend is a speech path and this is what she told me, the letter D is usually the first one babies will say. Ms usually come a little later and W, L and R are usually the last ones. I think I got this right and of course, it does not always hold true to every baby.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Babies sometimes babble words, but until they associate that sound with a person or thing, I wouldn't consider it to be a word.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• for me no we knew it didn't mean daddy it was just babble. her first real word was hi, when someone walked in the door and said hi to her and she said hi back. dadada, mamama, nanana, papapa things like that are easy combos for little mouths to figure out thats why they say those things first.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No my son learned "da da" a couple months ago and I don't think it meant "daddy". The only thing he ever said was "da da da da" and "ahhhh!!!" lol. But it made my husband feel special every time he said da da :-) Now his vocab had increased to "hi" "uh oh" and sometimes even "mama'!! Though I still don't think they mean anything...
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my daughter said mom/mama first...then dada/daddy. her actual first word was Hi, then Go, then Woof-Woof (for the dogs), then Mom..which turned to Mama then Mommy....then Daddy.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No I dont for my son.. he's 9 months now and says it when he wants my husband but before everyone was dadada so it to me wasnt a word.. His actual first word was also Hi..He would randomly say it when people walked through the livingroom were he was but he wouldnt ever say it on command lol used to make me so mad lol
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• THEY JUST BABBLING,JUST A SOUND
    mexicanbeauty

Answer by mexicanbeauty at 3:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009