Ouch, i'm being bitten while breastfeeding.........

I've heard about this, never thought my son would do it. He's 9 mos and teething, usually bites near the end of his feeding, (when he's half asleep) It's bad, he's drawing blood, tonight I had to pump to give him his last feed, nipple too sore to deal with his latch. I've tried a sharp no! and unlatching him immediately but it's not working, also tried pulling him in to my boob to cut off his air, but that hurts more, anyone have any other tips?? I'm desperate, I want to continue Bfeeding, but if he keeps this up I might have to pump and I'm afraid I'll dry up...............

wadesmum

Asked by wadesmum at 11:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Been there done that! My dd bit me so hard it took weeks ot heal and nursing was excruciating, but I stuck through it.

I think the only thing you can do is be persistent just like you would with anything else. I did the stern NO, OUCH, HURT MAMA thing and after a while she got it. I also set her down when she would bite.

Good luck! And take it from he ... you don't want to stop BFing because of this. I dealt with this around 1 yo and I'm still nursing her at 2 yo, I would have sorely regretted losing that year of BFing.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Keep in mind that baby can't bite you when he is actively breastfeeding. Watch for when he usually bites and take him off BEFORE he does. There are some great tips on dealing with biting on kellymom.com! Check them out at When Baby Bites

Hang in there! This will pass!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Keep doing the things you've bene doing...consistently. Make sure he's not getting solids before nursing. Hungry babies don't bite.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2009