Do you think the fight for gay marriage can be compared to the fight for racial rights in the 60's?

A minority group is being denied equal protection under the law, correct?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Imo yes, soooo many people will disagree though.
    Anonymous

• I think so, it's the same fight.. equality for all. To me, it's just as moronic to tell someone they cannot get married or have children because they are gay as it was to tell someone they cannot vote because they are black.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• no. They are two different animals. A black person cant help the color of their skin, they never made a conscious decision to be black (or what ever color). How ever, a gay person makes that conscious decision to act and live openly as a homosexual. IMO to compare them to the civil rights movement is a great injustice to the Icons of the Civil rights era.
    At this point homosexuals have all their basic rights, they can vote, own property, work any job, eat any where they want, etc. They even have the privilege of a civil union...but thats not good enough apparently. Blacks were not afforded ANY of those rights for a very long time.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• abbynzacksmommy...you hit the nail on the head. I am sure many civil rights leaders are turning over in their graves. They gave their lives for all blacks to have civil rights. Gays and lesbians are giving up nothing. Not the same deal.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 11:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• sexual perversion and skin color are not even in the same ball park here.

Anonymous

• "I think so, it's the same fight.. equality for all. To me, it's just as moronic to tell someone they cannot get married or have children because they are gay as it was to tell someone they cannot vote because they are black"

ROFLMAO! rolling on floorUmmmm..... Hello?! Babies aren't born from anal cavities.... thank you very much! So, No... they can't have babies because it isn't natural.... One egg, one sperm....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• TOTALLY!!

Gay is the new Black. 

And it can't be a choice!  Why would anyone CHOOSE that?

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've never heard it compared to any racial rights besides marriage. Same sex marriages now and inter-racial marriages then were both held down by ignorance. Gays are basically denied only marriage while blacks were denied much more. But that doesn't make denying gays any human rights anymore acceptable. Homosexuality isn't a choice. Choosing to be open about it is different, but still not wrong. Blacks could've just worn lots of make up and had lip reductions, right? So would it have been better for them to just try to be white -something they aren't? Why should gays convert straight or hide their homosexuality?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• "Babies aren't born from anal cavities.... thank you very much! So, No... they can't have babies because it isn't natural.... One egg, one sperm...."

Babies also cannot be born from barren wombs and/or from men cursed with low sperm counts. So let's just have Big Brother give everyone fertility tests before they can get married! And forget all those kids wasting away in the foster care system...yearning for a couple...ANY COUPLE to adopt them and give them good homes. 'Cuz only straight couples able to bread should be allowed certain privileges. 

Whatever.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No, there is no comparison. As someone already said, people cannot choose their race. I don't believe people can choose whether or not they are attracted to the same sex, but they can choose whether or not they act on it. I've been attracted to both sexes since I was a teenager, but have never acted on the same sex attraction. I choose to honor my vows to my husband. Since I believe the Bible, I don't believe God wants us to live that way. He allows us to experience temptation (which is not a sin), but what He cares about is how we handle that temptation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009