What are Some Ways to Help my 3 year old Learn to Write Her Name?

I want to start working with my 3 year old daugther on writing at least her name? How do I go bout making it fun, so she learns and doesn't get bored.

HANNAHSMOMMY25

Asked by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't push too hard. Remember that writing is not exclusively a cognitive skill. There's a host of physical requirements involved that some kids simply don't have until they're school age. There are children that physically can NOT use a writing implement well enough to master writing until kindergarten.

As others have said, focus on letter recognition and how to spell her name first. As you do so, work on developing fine motor skills - without these, writing is going to happen. Bake with her and let her knead dough. Play with Play-Doh. Let her string beads and build with Legos. Give her manipulatives to sort and play with. Use Finger paints and begin to trace her name out with her using those paints. Give her a paint brush and water. Paint the fence or side of the house. Again, it's learning the shapes of letters even if she can't hold and use a pencil properly. Don't make it a "lesson." (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son started with me writing his on his magna doodle, then I had him try it. I would write mine out and make it look and sound like it was so much fun and show my husband and have him brag about it. Then my son was so excited to do his. I would write it on top then have him try it. He still likes doing it, and now he does it by himself. He'll be 4 in September and he's been doing it since December. Just make it fun and make a big deal out of it and she'll enjoy it :)
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 12:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• What is her name? My kids' names are short. First, go with the first letter and what it is, what other words begin with it (K is for kiss, kangaroo, and you- KADE!) and point out the letter when you see it. If she is interested (with chalk, pens, markers) you can hold her hand or let her try if she wants (mine liked me to help at first) and say draw a line. Good, now a line here, and a line here, and then just play with it.

My daughter told me today "I don't really know how to write an R but I try!" LOL Her name is Tara and it doesn't always LOOK like Tara when she writes it but that's ok.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• First, make sure she knows the letters in her name - can say them in order and can recognize them. I made up a simple song for my daughter and she quickly learned to sing her name.

Then start teaching her to write those letters. You can make it fun by having her use chocolate pudidng as finger paint, get some bathtub crayons so she can practice in the bath, sidewalk chalk for outside.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• (Cont) when she's creating some sort of project, help her 'sign' it by writing her name on it for her and then encouraging her to do the same. When she can form some letters, have her 'sign' cards or artwork and send them off to relatives and family friends that will appreciate the effort.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2009