Does your toddler ever have a meltdown in public? What do you do?

I have a 2 year old with a horrid temper. My oldest NEVER acted out the way my youngest does. We will be in a store and if she gets mad she will scream at the top of her lungs...it is ear piercing, embarrassing, and ridiculous. If I tell her to stop she will either continue to do it or hit me as hard as she can. What am I supposed to do? She did it this evening in Walmart and I grabbed her little hand and said "No, knock it off" and felt like I was being judged by those around me. I did not yell or scream, just told her in a serious tone to stop her behavior and felt people's eyes on me. It's like people expect parents to let their children get away with horrible behavior, but on the other hand they are obviously annoyed by naughty actions. I will not allow my children to be monsters, but it seems as though society just wants us to let our children run free and not to parent them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my dd used to do that I would just walk away. I would make sure that she was following me. If not I would walk slow but always made sure I knew where she was. If she would continue I would take her by the hand and walk out the store. We would sit in the car and I would tell her that is not acceptable and that we could go back in when she calmed down. After a few times she got the message. Don't worry about the look you get from other people. Sometimes when I see someone disciplining their children I look too but it's more out of amazement that someone is actually doing something. Most kids I see screaming in the store the parents just keep shushing them or picking them up and trying to bribe them to be quiet. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Well, me personally, I would have picked her up, spanked her butt and carried her to the car, where we would have had a serious talk. TRUST ME MOM, we appreciate spanking in public more than bratty kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• All kids have meltdowns at one point or another, the ones that do the judging are probably the same ones that let their child keep screaming and ignore them while they continue to do their shopping.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son spent some time sitting in time out in the floor of Walmart! It was embarrassing, but what are you gonna do? I would give him a couple chances, but then it was out of the cart and onto the floor with him. People would walk by and just stare, but I had to let him know that what was wrong at home was wrong when we were out too. I also used the quick exit strategy. For strangers sakes it helps if you tell your kids, "Honey, I know you are tired/hungry/ready to get down to play, but mommy just has two more things to get and then we will go home."
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thank you ladies. I was so distraught about the fact that people seemed shocked that I was telling my daughter that her behavior was unacceptable. I do not want my children to be the bratty ones that no one wants around, I want people to enjoy being around them. I just feel that society is so against "breaking their spirit" that they look down on the parents that do their best to teach their child how to behave and what is proper and acceptable. I love my children with all my heart and just want them to be successful in life and feel boundaries and discipline are necessary to make that a reality. It just seems to me that a lot of people are losing sight in instilling values, morals and pride in their children and care only about letting the kids rule the roost. And in doing so, they make parents that do still believe in teaching right from wrong feel inadequate and embarrassed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Sometimes just knowing that others deal with the same things and that they have felt the frustration too helps. I appreciate your answers and also appreciate that there are women out there who still believe in teaching their children to behave. I have actually given up being around most of my friends and their children because they do not believe in discipline and I do not want my kids around them and trying to emulate their behaviors. I have maybe 3 friends with children that I still talk to and will be around on a regular basis, aside from that I have given up on the others. Their kids are terrors at home...and going out in public with them was nothing short of a nightmare. Thank you again so much. *hugs*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Walmart seems to bring the Devil out in kids I swear. It also seems to be the capitol of judgemental bitchy women. I have run into more women giving some poor mom the stank eye because their child is having a melt down. Like it never happened to them...right. Some people are just rude and bitchy. I have three from a previous marriage. None of them threw fits in stores. I now have two more that are 2 and 3. They have tempers like I have never seen. I had to stop taking my oldest out for a bit and now my youngest gets left behind because he has fits. I know they will outgrow it eventually. When I see this happening to a parent I try to smile and and let them know I am sympathetic. If I have a cookie etc in the diaper bag I will offer it. No sense in making another mom feel worse than they already do. We need more solidarity amoung women if you ask me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009