Why do women complain about WIC, when they are providing free food/formula for them AND their children?

I think it's the epitome of selfishness. I receive WIC too, and I'm grateful for their help. Why would I turn around and complain about the free food, or about their advice they give?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have never heard anyone complain about it. I was on it and I was thankful for it at the time. I had a good clinic with two very nice and caring women. I am with anon though. The down side is that poverty and ignorance go hand in hand a lot of times, however not always. I was divorced and looking for a job at the time. I had a college education and was on it for a very short amount of time. I found it insulting that just because I needed the financial assistance briefly, they assumed I did not know about the four food groups. I bit my tongue however, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. It was a very humbling experience.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Because its easier to turn frustrations into blame. Im grateful for WIC also, but still dont like the wait time in the clinic.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I probably qualify for WIC and though I haven't really heard anyone complain about it, I agree it would be kind of selfish.

I think if WIC gives a family too many gallons of milk for example, they can change the rations to substitute more cheese, to help the family use it best. I know in some states, if WIC is designated to a certain number of families, given out in coupons and not used, WIC may recve less to offer next time around so you want to use it right.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The only problem I ever had with WIC was both my girls are small for their age (they have always been in the bottom 5%) and I was told that I needed to feed them ice cream, cookies and cake so that they would gain weight and they were 2 and 1 month at the time.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I used WIC too and the part that frustrated me was that they assume that all people on WIC need basic parenting skills. Because you are poor dorsn't automatically mean you are uneducated or uninformed. There was no provision made so that the classes fit the clients.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• "The only problem I ever had with WIC was both my girls are small for their age (they have always been in the bottom 5%) and I was told that I needed to feed them ice cream, cookies and cake so that they would gain weight and they were 2 and 1 month at the time."

--i'm sorry, but i highly doubt they told you to feed your ONE MONTH OLD ice cream, cookies and cake. that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. these people aren't morons.

but i personally LOVE WIC and the help that it provides to families in need, including mine. i think they are a wonderful organization and people don't give them the credit they deserve!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You know, I DO appreciate the help I get from WIC (and I LOVE the women who run the office here), but I have dealt with some real nasty bitches in the WIC office before. There is NO reason for someone to EVER leave a place like that in tears because the people who work in the center are awful and have mean things to say. I have heard about and experienced some downright awful things in a WIC office, and people don't deserve that kind of treatment anywhere, especially somewhere they go for help.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I never had problems with people who worked at the WIC office. I did have some trouble with clients there. Ive run acrossed some very ignorant uneducated poor excuses for parents at the WIC office who needed parenting classes and I bet that wouldnt even of helped. When you have a room of 20 ladies and young women and 3/4 of them are acting like low class thugs majority rules. I didnt like nor appreciate being thrown in to the same pot as these women. I may be low income but I know how to conduct myself in public. I really resented it. Funny thing is once I got over being miffed, I did learn from the classes. As much as your children are provided with from WIC......its def. worth the time and frustration.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• wow sammiesmom please tell me you are joking the nutritionists at wic would freak out if you fed that to your 3 year old let alone a one month old they have no teeth to chew cookies and cake and infants cannot have ice cream it has milk in it
    oh yeah i am very thankful for what wic provides me with
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I really did love WIC, and need to see about getting back on it. What drove me insane was the women in there crying "but you never give me even close to enough formula". They have no clue that WIC is only helping.....not buying all of that babies food.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2009