Why do some people think it's SO easy for a gay person to just "be straight?"

So many people say that a gay person is okay to be gay as long as they don't act on it. So you're saying a gay person should deny themselves happiness just because of what YOU think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, there is a way to look at it if you chose to... There is a belief that there are two types of "being gay". One way, you are born as both male and female, and the Dr. or whomever makes the decision to chose a sex for the child. That person makes a mistake and choses wrong. That is an acceptable excuse. ONLY. Then there is the other which is believed by religions that is a choice. Thereby being a choice, it can be changed. There are many out there who have undergone a religious interference and have done so positively.

So, no, it's not just a YOU or ME or I... It's a spiritual thought about how gays should be. It's not natural Hon.. or everyone would be gay. We, as humans are supposed to be able to control ourselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• The people who think that don't truly know gays. They believe gay people choose to live their lives being discriminated against, beaten, ridiculed, denied by their families and friends. It's not perversity. It just who they are. They can no more choose to be straight anymore than those who disagree with me could choose to fall in love with and have sex with another female.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Anon that is wrong on so many levels. Have you ever thought that homosexuals are here to control the over population and give homes to the children that usually don't get adopted. They are also here to teach humankind compassion, which a lot of people seem to be lacking. No HON they can not change who they are. If it is a choice then you can GAY out at any given minute.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If being gay was a choice there really would be Sodom and Gomorrah today.  Think about it, one moment you'd be with a man and the next a woman.  Besides being gay is NOT all about sex.  Is your straight relationship all about sex.  No well neither is a gay relationship. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Because it is so easy for them to be straight and they have never tryed to force themselves to be gay.
    As for people succesfully "turning straight" the one that supposedly do this succefully admit to still having urges, dreams, and fantasies of people of the same gender. SO no they are not "fixed" they just went back in the closet.
    Have you seen how dangerous it is lately for people to think that being gay is so horrible and that they should be ashamed? We have 2 dead little boys that most likely where not even gay that killed themselves because of it.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Wednesday church service sure did a number on cafemomers didn't it. We have this post to slam gays and there is another one for wiccans. way to show how well church served you tonight.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't know that a person is "born" gay.... but I don't know that a person "chooses" to be gay either. I have several gay friends (male and female) and it's just something that they've known they were. I love them just the same... everyone bashes being gay (I'm sure I sound hypocritical bc I'm Christian) but the bible says to love everyone.... I didn't get to go to church tonight Anon 1:12 (lol) but I'm not going to bash someone because they are different!!! I don't think that a person can just "change" into being straight. I've known people who thought they weren't gay anymore, like they thought it was a phase or something... that same person has been with the same guy (he is male) for quite a while now... think of it like a disease (just not so horrible), it's not something that can just go away... and why do so many people turn their backs on ppl who are gay? They need friends and family too.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 4:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Because, generaly speaking, those who make the claim that Gays should just "be straight" aren't Gay; so, for them, being staight is very easy, since it is who they are and they are too limited in thier views to appreciate that everyone on the planet, isn't just like them. Don't forget the staright people who experiment sexually and use that of proof of "turning away from" a Gay lifestyle.

Oh, and why is my full editor not working? I want my colors.....
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:59 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ""It's not natural Hon.. or everyone would be gay. ""

So since everyone is not straight, is that also unnatural?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Homosexuality isn't exclusive to humans, did you know that? Outside of procreation, chimpanzees and other apes prefer the same sex. In cattle, rodeo bulls tend to prefer male affection to female ( I grew up on around cattle and know this for a fact.). And that's not all! Penguins, dolphins, buffalo, elephants, lions and other animals all have homosexual tendencies.

On another note, in Asian culture, it's just accepted. In Taiwan the word for gay means "half man/half woman". The Japanese (before being Americanized) just accepted that some men prefer men and some women prefer women.

Just a little fyi.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009