a few b/f questions.......

my daughter is 10 days old and I just have a few questions for moms who have more experience at this!
1 - how long will my boobs seem engorged and leak? When do they start to feel more normal?
2 - for some reason I am having trouble positioning my daughter on one side, it just feels awkward and so her latch isn't very good on that side - what do you think is the easiest position to use?
3 - a few of my friends who have breastfed ended up going down a cup size or two once they stopped - is that what most women experience?

Thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1. I think my babies went through stages where they ate more, and every time, I got a little bit engorged. You can always express a little in the shower or sink by hand to let some of the pressure off, or pump it to freeze (maybe your spouse can feed the baby in a couple of months if you're not home)

2. It was easier for my 1st to latch on to my right side (I'm right handed) so I started my daughter on with the left side. I liked the basic football hold or laying down next to the baby in bed and doing that (co-sleeping) while nursing.

3. I am as small now as I was before breastfeeding but during of course, I was bigger.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• 1- The engorgement should ease up for you soon. The leaking may persist a little beyond that, I can't remember when I really stopped having leaking issues, I know by 3 months, but I think sooner than that.

2- You might try the football hold on that side and see if it's more comfortable for you. You just lay her body along your side rather than across your stomach.

3- I couldn't answer that one, my boys are 12 months apart exactly, I haven't yet had any time since my first when I haven't been breastfeeding, pregnant, or both, lol.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• 1- It shouldn't last too long. Just hang in there. I think it was over soon, (as in within 1-2 weeks). It was just brutal when my milk came in, but within a few days they got the hang of it :)

2-My daughter was the same way- one of the nurses told me it was because: The way that she is nursing now resembles how she layed in the womb. If she prefers to nurse on one side- try to mimic that side on the other. She would eat on the left side (laying across my belly) and when she nursed on the right side I would put her in a foot ball hold (prop up some pillows) so that she was still eating the same way (laying on the same side).

3- I was a size A so I hope not!!! haha I heard that if you had small breasts, they stay big. But visa versa.. I'll let you know in a few months :)

GOOD LUCK! Stay in there!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• feel free to ask me anything about B/F... I've been through it all!!!!

TIP OF ADVICE:

pump to ease the soreness

MEDELA IS THE BEST

give her a bottle as soon as you have b/f down! I waited because everyone said about the whole nipple confusion thing-- she couldn't drink out of a bottle. She could only take a sippy cup and it was really hard... I will definitely get her to take a bottle before 4-6 weeks! That's just me though
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• 1. Could be a week, could be longer, could be less. Just nurse on demand, pump ONLY to relieve extreme engorgement, and use ice packs when necessary.

2. Another "your mileage will vary" question. Use what works for you. For me, lying back with my son virtually on top was the only way due to my letdown. Other moms swear by the football hold. Experiment. You'll find what works...there's no "wrong" here.

3. Not me. Again...your mileage will vary.

Regarding the PPs advice on a bottle...best way to get baby to take an alternate feeding is for MOM to have NOTHING to do with it. Hand baby to someone else and take off. Baby will eat when hungry and given no other choice.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• 1) by around 4 weeks, most women no longer feel engorged, but this is just your body regulating supply, it doesn't mean you have stopped producing milk see feeding patterns

2) there are lots of positions to hold baby in, breastfeeding positions shows the more common types. i found both my babies had a preference for one side, and there wasn't anything i could do about that.make sure you bring your baby to you-rather than your breast to the baby, because if you hunch over, you can ge back-ache.

3) mine stayed the same after baby #1 and after 10 months of feeidng #2, they seem to be holding up very well lol. it pregnancy that effects the breast, not breastfeeding.

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2009