My Son has been gagging himself recently, How do I get him to stop? He laughs after he does it, I tell him it is gonna hurt him

Asked by JamesMommy586 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore it, lol. My daughter did son pretended to choke on everything to get a rise out of me. Ignore it and stop giving him attention for it. He'll move onto something else...

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Your giving him attention when he does it. Just let him do it, and if he makes a mess "throwing up" make him clean it up!

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It's probably nothing, just a way to get you to react like the others said, but I know of a couple of kids that would stick their fingers in their throats and gag and it turned out they had enlarged tonsils, they were sticking their fingers back there because the tonsils were bothering them. I don't think it's common, but it wouldn't hurt to mention it at your son's next checkup and have the doctor take a look at his throat.

Answer by jlknudsen5478 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree with the other Moms with ignoring it..and worse comes to worse he will actually make himself throw up, and then I'm betting he won't do it again! :)

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 1:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Whenever you see him do it, pull his hand from his mouth and tell him no. Redirect with a toy or outside play to keep the hands from his mouth. That helped with my son and he stopped doing it.

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 2:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My 2 year old daughter does this. She's even thrown up because of it. It scares me, especially when we're driving and she sounds like she is choking! I nearly crash because it freaks me out so bad. I dont know how to stop it though, but you're not alone!

Answer by NoR_CaL_MoMmY at 3:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• LOL my son does the same thing and it started out of no where. I have been ignoring it and giving him something else like a toy or a cracker. he has spit up alittle from it but do you best to not acknowledge the fact that he's doing it.

Answer by M_Ramirez57 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My son started doing this around 10 months of age. I usually just gently remove his hand and tell him not to do that. I then distract him with something else, like a toy, or change of environment.

I think it's just a phase, and he'll soon move on to something else.

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 9:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008