How do you know?

This may be a dumb question, but this is my first baby. How do you know when your baby is about to teeth or is teething? My son is 5 months so I am sure its bound to happen soon. My grandma keeps telling me to feel his gums to see if they are swollen but how can you tell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he'll slobber alot and probably cry or whine alot and chew on his toy alot. buy orejel and tylenol.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 12:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yup, that. They slobber and mouth everything (more so than now). You can put a wet washcloth in the freezer, or get one of those mesh feeders and put an ice cube in it, or buy a teething toy and freeze it. Infant's Tylenol will help, as will teething tablets.

However, I strongly urge you to stay away from the baby orajel, that stuff is really harsh and babies don't know not to swallow it. I bought some for DD once and tried it on myself and nearly choked on it it was so harsh.

Also, some babies get diarrhea with teething, refuse the bottle/breast, sleep worse, ect. So be prepared and patient :)

I've never noticed swollen gum but I'm sure it's possible.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If he's teething you can put your finger in his mouth & feel his gums. You will be able to feel hard bumps if he's teething. and he will drool alot, whine, etc. Good luck. I've had 3. I feel your pain with that.:)
    mommyof302

Answer by mommyof302 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I could see it coming in. They are little red bumps (one for each tooth). My daughter got a rash and diareah before her tooth came in. This is my first and she's seven months and her top 2 teeth just broke in.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son was about 8 to 9 months old by the time his 1st tooth appeared. Sometimes teething babies will have fevers too.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009