i need advice about my 3 year old daughter

I always take my 3 year old daughter with me when ever I go to the stores. She hates being in the shopping cart and throws a hissy fit about it. Once at Target we were walking out of the store and I was holding her hand she had let go. So I had to carry her she started to scream really loud help me people please help me. So I hurried up tp get to my car. I was just afraid that someone would of believed her that maybe I was kidnapping her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let her walk next time. Make it a trip where you don't need a ton of things (so you can talk to her) and teach her how to touch the right way (you touch stuff, so she wants to) but not to necessarily pick it up all of the time, and to always put it back where it belongs.

Go early in the morning. Going late in the afternoon never goes well with us because I am running low on steam, they might be hungry, and so on. I usually let my kids pick a book from the store to carry around and look at, then they put it back when we leave.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Give her a "shopping list". Let her "check off" items with a crayon. That helped my three year old to stay focused on the task at hand and not wander off so quickly. Or, print out a shopping list with the item's picture on it and have her help you find them on the shelves. A sticker chart worked wonders for us. She got a sticker on her chart for every aisle she walked down without grabbing stuff that she wasn't suppose to. You can also let her snack as you shop - that will keep fussiness at bay and her hands busy.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I went through that.....when she get's home make life suck and tell her why! No outdoor play for the day, no friends, nothing she likes for 24 hrs. Usually it works for mine. Stick to your guns, let her scream, sob, whine cry, just have a glass of wine and block it out girl! It's a total control issue!!! Show her you've got it! Keep your cool even if you are not! Like I said make it suck, it really makes them think. They are smart, they will figure it out!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i give my daughter a three stike policy cuz she insists on walking too. the first time she does something wrong ( walks off, grabs something, starts whining...) i get down to her level and tellher not too do that and why. the second time she gets warned that if she does it again she will be put in the cart. third time she gets put in the cart with a simple explaination. if your daughter is anything like mine the first couple times shell kick and scream and pitch a fit. let her! ignore her and act like nothing is wrong. keep your cool. shell get that she needs to obey the rules! and if you cant deal with the stares and looks just leave the store. tell her if she cant behave then she cant go anywhere. just stick in there! i doesnt last forever!!
    rachelolivares

Answer by rachelolivares at 5:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• She screamed "help me people, please help me"??? Thats funny, but its not, ya know? I dont let my 3 yr old walk for this reason. Hes just not quite mature enough to get the part about not running from me. As many times as I have told him and taught him, he still runs ahead without fear of th street or people or cars...nothing. He thinks its a game. So I just made up my mind that he was going into the buggy until I decided other wise. He throws a fit and generally whines about it, but once I have held firm to my decision and given him something to distract him, hes fine. If you feel that she cannot walk without all this tantrum and drama, then she goes into the buggy...bottom line. If that still causes drama, then go when shes not with you. Target and walmart are sometimes open 24 hrs. Theres no rule about not being in walmart at 2 am....LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2009