Quitting new job after 5 days! Advise?!

i started a new job last thursday. thur. n fri. i worked 10:30 am till 1:30 pm. monday (after training) i got to go out n do the hands on stuff. they had me working from 10:30 till 10 pm that night! and the past two nights i didnt get home till 11:30! after starting work at 10:30. this is killing me! but this isnt my biggest problem. im a new mommy and my baby is 4 months old. i have only held her for 10 minutes in the past 3 days and its tearing me up. this job is pure commision but if i stick with it id make alot of money because 'im a natural' or so ive been told.

BUT! i have a diff job offer that has a base pay with commision and its a solid 8 hour shift. but this new job has been lying to me and giving me the run around. unemployment is not an options and these are the only two jobs... any ideas? advice? ANYTHING!!!!

Always
~syl~
Fae-Lee

F43L34

Asked by F43L34 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• OP ~ The second job is your best bet, especially where it is closer to home and they didn't lie to you, they just had you go through 3 interviews and a thorough background search, which takes time. Getting a job nowadays doesn't take a matter of days, it takes weeks because employers want to invest time in worthwhile employees, not just anyone who walks in off the street.
    Financially, you have it pretty easy except for your extras such as your cell phone and buying extra things. You have a roof over your head, food in your belly, childcare day and night, laundry service, taxi service - all at no cost! You also have the love and support of your parents who only want you to become a responsible adult.
    This commission only job has lied to you from day one by hooking you in and keeping you on the end of the line by not giving you complete information unless you show up the next day, and then they only give you a little... (cont)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• you have to think of it this way.. what is more important? spending time with your baby in the months that you are never going to get back - she is making mile stones everyday... the only downfall is less money. I'd pick the less money. 8 plus commision isn't bad at all... i'd choose the job offer...
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 12:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I'd take the second job if it meant having more time to bond with my baby. Money comes and goes - your window for bonding is closing. Just something to think about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Quit. I would too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Take the second job.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 2:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Take the second job. That promise of big money is never going to materialize. They tell you that to get you to stick.

Don't even bother putting the current job in your resume in the future.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Take the second job if you must work outside the home! Staying home with my kiddos is more important then following someone lies about making big money. Another option could be to make money from home. You NEVER pay any fees AND they are REAL and LEGIT. Take a look at my website

http://realfreelegit.webs.com/
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 6:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You say the "new job" has been lying and giving you the runaround - are you referring to the one you are actually working at or the one you are considering? If you mean the one you are considering, I wouldn't quit based on a job that is screwing me before I even start. If you mean the one you are working at, quit and take the other job. It might be less money, but you can figure out a way to make do on less money. You can't figure out a way to get back time with your family once it's gone. You also can keep looking and see if there are any other jobs out there. Unemployment isn't an option, but you can still contact them and see if they have any resources that can help you find a job. My state's unemployment agency has a job bank that you can register for and employers will post jobs on there and you can go thru them and apply, whether you get unemployment or not. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Agreeing with tropicalmama in that I'm not sure whether the job that you now hold is lying to you or the job you are considering. If it is the job you are considering, and they are already messing with you, then I really can't see taking the job, since it won't get better and then you'll be out of any job at all since there are only the two. if it is the job you are presently holding, and considering that you really want and need to be with your baby more, then it seems a good reason to get out of the job. A problem is that holding a job and dropping it so quickly doesn't look good on resume or references. Talk to your present employer and see if the hours can be worked out first. Also that first week on any job is awfully hard, you may want to try sticking it out another week or month, but talk to your present employer about your concerns first, just don't up and quit- you'd get a bad reference or report.

Answer by Bmat at 8:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If you can afford to quit or will get the other job quit. If you cannot afford to live and am not sure about the other job suck it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2009