Where did the word Christian originate from?

The answer lies in the original Greek. 'Christ', meaning 'the Anointed', translated to 'Χριστός' (khristos); and followers of Christ were 'Χριστιανός' (khristianos) - Christian.

The first usage of the word can be found in Acts 11:26:

"and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.
I read this and is this true? I heard another person say it originated somewhere else one time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• followers of Jesus Christ were first called “christians” in antioch [acts 11:26] because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. it was originally used by the unsaved people of antioch as a kind of contemptuous nickname used to make fun of the christians. it literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or an “adherent or follower of Christ,” which is very similar to the way webster’s dictionary defines it
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yeah what hinson said and your research is correct as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yup : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• if you knew the answer then why ask the question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Because I said I heard something else about where it came from on here, so I looked up to show my hubby because whatever it was I remember thinking it's kinda stupid to even call ourselves Christians if that's how it originated. I can't remember specifically what it said, but it had nothing to do with the bible. But when I looked it up I found this and that person turned out to be wrong. I asked to make sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009