Bankie - be - gone

my almost 3 year old son, Matthew has YET to give up his beloved Bankie, i have tried everything to get rid of it. BUt NOTHING has worked hoe do i convince my son that he is too old for his bankie, i know you are going to tell me that you know someone in their 20s that still sleeps with theirs, but he has destroyed this thing, it stinks, and he has it when he was sick with the tummy virus, and refuses to let me wash it, and we do not need a residential stomach virus epidemic! thanks
cafekandace

CafeKandace

Asked by CafeKandace at 1:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try taking it when he sleeps to wash it .
    he will grow out fo it my son eventually just left his favorite blanket on his bed when he was 4
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Just take it away cold turkey do it in the morning and not at night just take it away.. Thats crazy I had mine til I wass 7 and I refuse to let my son keep his that long because I'm paying for it now.. It's not fun.. I know this isnt the best choice but if you have tried everything else this seems to be the only choice
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My sister was the same way. We had to like ween her off it lol. When we would go out we started by just leaving it in the car, then leaving it at home. The blanket was in shreds and finally we just cut a small piece off and told her to carry that around. She soon lost interest after a few days. Hope this helps, good luck!
    moniluvsmarcus

Answer by moniluvsmarcus at 1:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I really dont think this is a big deal at all, you should just wash it while he sleeps. I would never take something away cold turkey that my child was attached to, thats not right and you might give him a complex. This is something that soothes him and makes him feel safe just like my two and a half yr old and his binki. My husband and I are very strong believers in self weening and our son has done great with that method. We even notice that he doesnt need the pac as much because he will put it down while hes playing. Just give him time but untill then wash that old thing and make it smell good for him :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It could be traumatic if you take it away.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 2:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I still have my 2 and they are in my bed with me and my husband. Lol. I'd just take it while he is sleeping and wash it like the pp said. There is no harm in it. Someday, he may get embarrassed about having it around when he has friends over, and decide it is time for it to go....or maybe he'll be like a 24 year old, handsome, popular guy that I know who still has his, ratty-torn-up-blanket with him in college. LOL.
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 2:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• He's 3, I don't think it's a big deal. Her'll eventually give it up on his own. Whether b/c he just doesn't need it anymore, or he gets embarassed when he realizes his friends don't have one, whatever. I definitely would not just take it away from him. Just wash it while he's asleep, and give it back to him. Yes, it's ratty, but if it gives him a little security, it can't be that bad.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Why do you want it gone? My nephew gave his parents Teddie when he turned 12. My 13 yearold still keeps her bankybay on her bed. He will give it up before college, I promise!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would sneak in and wash it when he is asleep. Slowly ween him from it, tell him he can have it when he naps or is in be for the night. Maybe give the blanky to the blanky faeries and have the faeries give him a present in return

Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• At three its not a big deal--my niece is eight and still sleeps with her blankie--once my 2 year old took it and put it in the bath tub, got it wet, no big deal--wrong, my niece cried uncontrollably until Grandma dried it. --Personally i think that is a bit much, but at 3 its not a big deal.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 3:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2009