So.... what about the Mirena?

I'm almost 32wks pregnant and I've been thinking about getting the Mirena instead of relying on birth control pills (that's what I was on when #2 was concieved!!!). I've heard some good things about it, but the more I read posts on here, I'm hearing a lot of bad too. Can I get some feedback (positive or negative) on the affects of the Mirena... has it worked.... is it worth it?

kayla_trinity

Asked by kayla_trinity at 1:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I love mine too. I've had it for almost 2 years with absolutely no side effects. I have shorter, lighter periods && absolutely no cramping or PMS && no babies lol. My doctor was awesome too, I never felt anything while he was putting it in. I had slight cramping for about a day, but if you take some tylenol before you go in then it won't be too bad. Everyone is different though, you're going to hear good && bad stories for everything. So if you're thinking about it, just go ahead && get it, you can always have it taken out if you react negatively to it.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 5:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• http://www.mirena-us.com/index.jsp

there's the website. mine (im on my second) have worked great...no babies yet, the my friend just found out she will have baby #3 even though she has it in. my complaint is the side effects that i have. weight gain, low sex drive, i have headaches, but dont know if its too blame, and also depression but dont know whether thats too blame or not. Im actually going to get mine taken out b/c of them. its jsut getting to be too much. but it affects everybody differently.. i would say try it for atleast 6 months...if its not working then you can always take it out and theres no lingering effects. Good Luck and congrats on the baby
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i like mine but i'd wait if you are breastfeeding. all hormonal bc can affect bfing. insertion is a bitch but my gyno told me it was because i bf and never dialated in labor so my cervix was really tight still. i cramped for a few hours afterwards and that's it. insertion was painful though. lol. i even took some pain pills left over from my c-section and it still hurt like a mo fo. i'd get it again though. sorry rambling getting tired.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• neither of mine hurt to put in or take out...but it all depends on the person. I guess come to think of it, the dr struggled putting the 2nd one in...I guess my cervix wiggled around and they had to chase it....it was kinda funny! but no cramping or anything...a little spotting.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've been having some side effects from my mirena here recently. Headaches, cramping, nausea, breast tenderness. My period did lighten up...tremendously! Insertion was a breeze but about an hour after I was cramping to the point I couldn't get out of bed. Also got a migraine that day that no medicine would help. I would definitely get it again though. Wayyyy better than having to remember a stupid pill everyday!
    kizzy819

Answer by kizzy819 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've had mine for 6 months now and I love it. I still haven't had any periods, I bled for a couple days after insertion, and cramped a bit. But nothing too serious. I love it because I don't have to worry about taking a pill, and SO doesn't have to worry about condoms!
    It's great, but definitely not for everyone!
    I would read up on all the pros and cons and talk to your gyno about it.
    good luck!
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 2:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I love mine, i havent had a period in 2 and a half years!
    ErinPritt

Answer by ErinPritt at 4:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I didn't like mine. It caused me to have terrible mood swings and NO period. Bad cramps at time of ovulation. My mood swings were so bad that I was yelling ALL the time. I was in so much rage because my hormones where crazy from not having a period. I had is taken out and I feel so much better. But most people I've heard have something good to say so maybe is just wasn't good for me. Either way I say you should at least try it. Give is at least six months then if you don't like it you can always have it taken out.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 6:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• JMO but, If you are interested at all in having more kids DO NOT GET THE MIRENA IUD! I had mine for 3 years 5 months and 6 months after removal I had my 1st ectopic pregnancy and on 4-29 just had my 3rd and final. 3 embryos and 2 lost fallopian tubes later....... I had no side effects while on it and no other risk factors Seriously If you are considering any future kids I wouldn't chance the Mirena. Good Luck
    BigboyMom

Answer by BigboyMom at 7:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have had mine for 3 months. I have not had a period since my daughter was born. It did hurt going in but I had a c-section to. And 3 of them in 3 yrs so my uterus is kinda sore ya know.Although I am having thoughts that I might be pregnant . But I dont want to find out I'm to scared. That it is a risk to get it takenn out if your pregnant. Anywho it i s a good one I have had no problems except me being paranoid.LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2009