DOES ANYONE KNOWS HOW MUCH A WATER BIRTH COST ?

I'M THINKING ABOUT GETIN A WATER BIRTH AND I AM WONDERING IS IT FREE?

ms.keisha17

Asked by ms.keisha17 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you rent a portable pool for either home or hospital birth, it usually costs about $375, which includes the rental fee, shipping both ways, and all the extras that you might need. Some insurance companies do reimburse for the expense of the pool rental. If the hospital has permanent birth pool equipment, there is not really even any need to let your insurance company know that you have had a waterbirth. Just in case they may object to the process, it is always safe to inform the insurance company that the baby was born vaginally. It really doesn't matter if the baby was born in the bath or on the bed - it is still a vaginal birth.

Thats what I found when I googled it.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 2:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• contact your insurance. I think if you have medical you can find a midwife that'll do it for you at home if you want that. But I have kaiser and its not covered well by them becasue they want you in the hospital. so contact insurance and call some midwifes in your area. All births are expensive.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If you are delivering at a hospital then check with them. Some do not allow it and some do. Those that do, some provide the tubs others require you rent it. Insurnace may cover the cost of renting it may not so you need to talk to them too. If you are planning this at home you can rent a tub or see if your midwife has one (she may charge a nominal fee for it too).

WIth my first the hospital did not allow tubs, but they did allow you to labor in the shower if you so wanted so that is what I did. Having the hot water to give myself nipple stimulation in between contractions I feel sped up my labor and during contractions I put that spray of water on my belly and it was great. I did not want to delvier in the water though, just labor there. With my second I labored at home in our hot tub that I had prepared for just that until I absolutely had to go to the hospital and I started pushing about 10 minutes after arriving.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2009