i have a four year old greatgrand son named devonte he live with me . i have a problem getting him to sleep. he gets bup around 7am goes to daycare no nap if i am lucky hemaybe asleep by 11pm i have tried evgerything

i dont give him anything sweet after 6 . he is getting dark circles under his eyes. he hasnt lived with is mother for almost two and a half years. but has seen her and has spent the night with her. i dont know what to do i am really worried

nana6144

Asked by nana6144 at 4:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Try giving him his supper at around 5pm and take him out for a walk afterwards so he can get more energy out of his system, then an hour before bed give him a warm bath to try and soothe and relax him. I hope this helps.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Have you tried getting him into see a child therapist? I went to one when i was 4 and 5 after my parents divorced. I remember that after not having my dad around and the kids being mean at preschool I was extremely unhappy.
    My mom put me into "play therapy" and I remember being happier after that.
    Little kids do have their own problems and it does affect their sleep.
    I have a 4 yr old that will not nap to save his life!! and he will stay awake until every tv is off. Last night he did not go to sleep til 12:30 because I forgot to shut the tv off and after that he was sleeping in less then 2 minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would start with a complete check up at his doctors to rule out anything physical. Do you work? Is that why he is in daycare? Daycare can be rough on kids especially if they are there full time. He may still need a nap and it may be too noisy for him to rest. I think routine is the best thing for kids. Make sure dinner is always at the same time. Bath, book etc always at the same time so he knows when to expect what. Tell him it is time for bed, that you love him. Even tell him he does not have to go right off to sleep but he does have to stay in his bed. If he gets out put him back and be firm and consistant. Maybe the idea of a child psychologist would not be a bad idea either. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009