baby cereal

WHAT AGE SHOULD I START TO INTRODUCE MY LO TO BABY CEREAL? BY THE WAY HE IS 2 MONTHS. SHOULD HE STILL BE TALKING THE HIS REGULAR FORMULAR BOTTLE? THANKS LADIES... I KNOW THIS IS ONE OF THEM QUESTIONS YOU ASK YOUR LO'S DOC BUT I LOVE THE ADVICE FROM OTHER MOMS.

pregnproud88

Asked by pregnproud88 at 6:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on your son.
    My son was having rice cereal at 3 1/2 months.
    MummyJAIMEx

Answer by MummyJAIMEx at 6:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree, it depends on your son. I started my son on cereal at 2 months, but he was also a huge eater. I was feeding him nonstop and he was spitting up a lot of formula because he was getting too much. But when I'd lower the amount, he still wasn't happy. So I mixed in a little bit of cereal with each bottle just so it would stay down, and also to have him last longer between meals. It worked great.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i started my daughter on rice cereal when she was 5 weeks old. i would mix an ounce of it with some lukewarm water and i fed it to her by spoon. i hear its better that way because my doctor told me that if i put it in her bottle it could make her heavier. plus if you teach them earlier on how to take a spoon then when you start feeding them other solids its a lot easier. now shes 2 1/2 months and i've just started mixing a little bit of fruit in with her cereal. last week she had pears, this week its apples. and she always gets a 4 oz. bottle along with her cereal.
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 8:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It does depend on your child BUT introducing solids earlier then recommended can cause life long problems. The recommendation is to wait until 6 months and NEVER before 4 months unless it is doctor recommended for a medical problem where the need out ways the problems associated with early introduction of solids.

Another thing to remember is that even when solids are introduced that food is for practice not nutritional purposes so ALWAYS feed baby breastmilk / formula prior to offering food. Solids are not a replacement for their feedings.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• mines 2.5 mons and i feed her a table spoon of rice w/ bm. once a day about 4. started yesterday. shes doubled her birth weight at 2 mons. weighes 12.4. that was 2 wks ago. then I nurse her before, burp her then little bit of rice and burp again. gerber.com has alot of helpful advice and you can get coupons and stuff in the mail including sample menus at every age!!! i love it
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• dude my kid weighed 12lbs at 4 months....lol and she started at 8lbs 9oz but im anti solids at all till 1 year old they really dont need it its only for learning textures and that. and being a pediatric nurse i do know a couple of things. the first year of life can solely be formula or BF also starting them too soon can cause more damage then good and their poor little bellies.. dont make them grow older faster then they need to ladies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2009