I have a question for atheist's

My daughter asked me this question earlier and I didn't know how to answer it. Since atheist's don't believe in God then how do they think the world was created?

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 7:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Your daughter poses a very good question. And, as many of these replies demonstrate, atheists generally DON'T think about how the world was CREATED. They accept the teachings of physical scientists about various chemical reactions may have happened in the formation of parts of the universe, but they stop short at how it started, and refuse to go beyond.

Your daughter has an inquiring mind. It is good for her to realize that not every person does. Some are closed-minded.

Back in the late 1800's there was a lot of talk in fundamental religions against people who explored ideas beyond the church doctrines. There was the insistence that "Man cannot know" some things outside of the church dogmas - spiritual ideas AND scientific studies were condemned with this pronouncement.

It has been astonishing to see this same attitude invoked by people who think they are scientific free-thinkers, but are fundamentalists themselves.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• LOL hmm...That's a tough question. Honestly, no two atheists believe the same thing. I'm an agnostic atheist, and I don't really claim to know exactly what happened. Maybe the big bang theory is correct, maybe there was a creator who started everything. I don't really know and I don't really care, honestly.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:44 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am not an atheist, but I don't believe in creationism. A star is formed when hot gases and gravity create fusion. Matter around the star combines over millions of years to form planets, like our Earth. There is a whole branch of science called astrophysics that deals with these very issues.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 7:58 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I believe that everything stemmed from science.....there's a logical reason that all the planets are here......for instance....one of the scientific theories is that the planets in the solar system were meteors that were caught in the Sun's gravitational pull and evolved....just like creatures on the planet evolved to what they are now.....And I'm not an athiest....I just don't believe that one entity could create an entire universe.....Religious pple don't believe in magic right?....but that sounds like a crazy magic trick to me
    threeunderfive

Answer by threeunderfive at 8:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Personally, I don't know nor do I care. It's not something I sit and dwell on because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. We are here...that's what matters, who cares how we got there. I tend to believe the big bang theory. It makes sense to me and then after that evolution took over. But I'm sure we will never know 100% how it all started and that is fine with me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• How did the universe form? Look up the Big Bang Theory.

How did the earth form? Here's a good link: http://ecology.com/features/originsoflife/index.html

How did life start? Abiogenesis. Here's a good video explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

How did life get the way it is today? Evolution.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the links, she's 9 and she comes up with questions like this out of the blue and won't let it go until she has an answer.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Good for her sammiesmom! That's the best way to find the answers :)
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• The Big Bang Theory? Isn't that a comedy on CBS?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009