Travel Strollers- at what age can they just ride in the stroller without the car seat?

We have a Chicco travel system and our little one is going to be just over 2 months old when we take a trip. I will be by myself and it's hard for me to manage the stroller or the car seat let alone both together, so I was wondering if he would be safe to just lay down in the stroller without being in the car seat? He's over 11 lbs now at nearly 7 weeks. Thanks!

jschuett

Asked by jschuett at 7:58 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he should be alright in the stroller, depending on the stroller. put him in it and give it a "test drive", make sure you can buckle him in well.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I'm not really sure. I didn't put my little girl in the stroller without the carseat until she was 5 months old (she could sit up really well). But I have an Evenflo stroller/carseat system, and I don't know much about the Chicco. Like the PP said, just do a test drive before you leave. It should be fine so long as he is buckled in really good. I would maybe put blankets on both sides of him so he doesn't slide or fall over.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i put my baby in just the stroller at 5 months as well and the 3 in 1 5-100lb car seat at 5 1/2 months when she could sit up (travel carseat way 2 heavy! and yes rear facing dont worry ppl lol)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Of course. Just because the carseat can fit in the stroller doesn’t mean they ever have to be used together, they just come that way for convenience. As long as the stroller can recline enough that the baby isn’t slumping over it’s safe to use with a newborn. If you look at the stroller itself on Babyrus or some other stores page it will say manufacturers suggest age birth – whatever. Only the smaller strollers that don’t recline (and can’t hold a carseat) say 6 months and up. If you think your baby needs more head support add the headrest from the carseat, or a rolled up blanket..
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If the back of the carseat can be laid all the way back, you can use it by itself from birth. The only time the baby's age matters is if the seat back can't be reclined, then it's best to wait until the baby can sit when supported and hold their head up.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thanks Ladies!
    jschuett

Answer by jschuett at 8:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009