how is it possible to lose a child

in a custody baddle. me and my babys father just broke up and I was a stay at home mom and going to school so i have no way to pay for a lawyer because i dont have a job. Would they take a child away for not having a job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope not all though they may tell you to get 1 by a certain time. Depending on how long you were married you can get spousal support and child support. They have to prove you an unfit parent to take your child away.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My sister just lost her child to her ex boyfriend. He is on the birth certificate and did not prove she was unfit just proved he was a great parent and the child's best interest would be with him. I testified for him. My sister is not a bad person but she is a terrible mother. She bathed, fed and clothed her child but that was it. Her ex plays with the child and interacts with him. He is an excellent father. He has my nephew full time she gets him every other weekend. Courts anymore don't just give mom custody. In many areas they look at what is best for the kid and often times dad is who they pick. I am glad many kids should be with their father.

In your case find legal aid in your area. I would also talk to your ex and discuss you sharing custody so your child has both of you. If you are both good parnets there is no reason to fight over this. You both should love your child more than you dislike each other
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If you were not married the court will favor you unless he can prove you unfit, which is pretty hard to do. Unfortunately they don't set the bar all that high. As long as you can prove you have a home,even if it is at your parents house, and you can feed and care for your baby you will be ok.
    There really shouldn't be any battle to speak of.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009