Stimulus Money used to take at least 1200 jobs out of Ohio and move them to Georgia, what are your thoughts?

Officials were never given a chance to compete. NCR and Columbus, Georgia made the deal based what the city though it was getting from Federal Stimulus. Do you this is ethical? Appropriate? In a town, Dayton Ohio who has seen 2 GM plants close, 5 Delphi and countless of Automaker vendors shut down... This seems like in appropriate use of Federal Funds. Do you think there should have at least been a bidding opportunity?
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio-news/ohio-lawmakers-outraged-at-use-of-stimulus-funds-in-ncr-deal-146677.html?showComments=true

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Now, I am sure those in Georgia are in a whoop whoop state... But it seems like using Federal Stimulus money to take jobs without giving the original city an opportunity to bid for KEEPING the jobs in unethical and inappropriate way to use Federal Money. jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yeah, I agree. GA isnt seeing a whole lot of jobs bursting at the seams or anything. I am curious to what these jobs are. Just manufactoring jobs? I know Columbus could use the jobs, but I am sure not more than Dayton OH. I think it sounds unethical, but I guess it depends on which side of the equation your on. I know theres a new KIA plant somewhere in ATL other than that, we have heard of nothing else.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Georgia is still USA,not some foreign country.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 8:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• This is where I imagine an anon Obushma supporter would enter and say, "If the people in Ohio don't like it, they can move to Georgia". As if changing your locale is a fix all solution to poor government decisions.

Personally, I think it's extremely unethical. I hope that this opens some voter's eyes to what this administration is really about.  It seems like there is something new everyday to be disappointed about. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

As the state Senators said, "The fact that economic stimulus dollars were used to move an Ohio company to Georgia at taxpayer expense is an outrage,"

How do you, Tristana, argue the ethics? Would you say this is responsible use of Federal Funds?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I live in GA. I think it is a ok decision. I'm sure people in Ohio are upset because they are losing jobs. But we are gaining them. Sorry but your not going to change their mind. So what is the point of arguing about it?

And I agree with Tristana at least its not a foreign country.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ANON 9:01AM
    So I guess it's a "sucks to be you" kind of attitude among those who think this idea is a good one?! Funny thing about that kind of attitude, it does have a bit of a KARMA tinge to it!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• As an Ohio family, I am outraged. Unfortunately I think we're just going to see more and more of this. Up in Ontario, Ohio, they are scheduled to close the GM stamping plant there in 2010. That is the bread and butter in that area. It's disgusting and disturbing to see my home state falling victim to this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Heck yes, I'm all for this! I live in GA and have a degree and cannot find a job and my DH cannot find one and I know many people I graduated with cannot find one. About time they open up some jobs in GA!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am in GA, and this story was BIG news last night on the local newscast. People are very excited, as the unemployment rate in GA is slightly higher than the rest of the country. While I was watching the coverage and feeling happy at the prospect of all the job opportunities for my fellow Georgians, I did wonder what would become of all those in Ohio--would the company be providing relocation opportunities, or other positions within the company? The news coverage did not address this issue.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2009