Do you think Native Americans practices are part of a religion?

I know the question sounds funny, but think about it. Are the dances and things that they do as part of their "religion" an acutual religious act, or are they something else?
I think they are an act of their religion. Some Christian faiths believe in speaking in tongues and dancing as a way of expressing thier religion. So, what the Native American's do is no different.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always thought about it that way. I don't think I ever specifically called it their 'religion', but more of their 'beliefs', yanno? They seem more spiritual than other religions to me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i don't know, i believe that religion has to be revealed by God. Has their practices been revealed by God or are they things they created for themselves that they believe are religious practices. I don't know. i think it's an interesting question. I would like to hear from native americans and how they see their practices
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Most Native American tribes feel that they are performing rituals that were revealed to them by the Sky God (their form of God, Allah, basically their "head" god). From what i have read and been told, they feel that these dances and things are done to honor the gods and their ancestors so that they will help them. Of course, I could be wrong.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, I do. I believe the Native Americans have sincere, devout beliefs. I am sure they are religious in nature as well as about their culture. THe area that I live in is what we believe to be very sacred ground because it originally belonged to the NA tribes. THere are many historical sites that have been preserved. ITs also on the original Trail of Tears. It might have been the beginning, I cant remember. Because the land was taken from them so forcefully, some of the people in the area decided that they needed to honor these people. There are memorials set up for them and also an acknowledgment made publicly that what the white man did was wrong in so many ways. I have high respect for them, regardless of differing gods or beliefs.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yes, i do.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I went on vacation to Cherokee, NC a few years ago. There are a lot of old-school NA there. I think the whole animal spirit thing is very interesting. Makes sense to me, in a way.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:44 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yes it is their religion
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think they are some of the most spiritual people there is. Or at least they were until the "Christians" decided they had to be "fixed" and to shove the Christian God in their face.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• The only reason I am asking is because I am part Miami Indian and I have seen some of thier dances and ceremonies and I think they are beautiful. I just wanted to see what you ladies thought.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, I do believe they are part of their religion. I don't understand all they do, but I know it is a very important part of their heritage. We used to live near the Mescalero Indian Reservation in Ruidoso,NM, and they had ceremonies all the time,and I'm sure they still do. Really interesting.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2009