Anyone else hate taking their kids out to eat?

I get so tired of telling her to sit down, get back in her set and to finish ea0ting. And it seems like it is worse when other people are with us. I usually end up wishing I had stayed home!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes I do. We have 4 kids so generally speaking its quite expensive for us to eat out. WE do it very rarely. My dh and I sometimes go out if we dont have kids with us. Last weekend, we had our 15 yr old with us and we went out and went browsing for bar stools and a dishwasher. She wore me out. She never stopped talking and debating. I told her that when her dad and I go out, we just exist together, we dont need to talk all the time. She didnt understand that...LOL. I guess I am lucky that shes not holed up in her room somewhere texting some boy but rather with her dad and I and enjoying our company, but she wore me out with her constant conversation...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Practice makes perfect. It is difficult and can even be embarassing. But, as with most things, kids do better with exposure and practice. Use a lot of praise and set the expectation on the way there. It is a VERY stimulating environment with a lot of sensory going on and it can overwhelm them. When they start to wiggle ask them about what they are feeling and engage them in conversation where they have to answer you back.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 8:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• When taking the kids out to eat became unbearable me and dh had to decide if we would teach them how to behave appropriately in a restaurant, despite the embarassment. Or if we would just forgo eating out with them.
    It really only took a few outings before they knew how to behave and that they had to. We also had to adjust our expectations. No long eating out ventures. I've walked the kids out of the restaurant and put them back in the car and drove them home. That sealed the deal for them as they love to eat out too. I told them why we left and what is expected of them. One other time I took them to the car, our food had already been ordered, made them think I was taking them home and my word their behaviour has since changed BIG TIME! Before going into the restaurant we talk about what is acceptable and appropriate in the restuarant. I also bring things to keep them busy. Little, quiet things.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We still have the occasionaly issue with them, but reminding them will usually work. I won't hesitate to take my kids out of a restaurant. I will now fo to lunch with my 3 kids 4, 3 and one on my own.
    Good luck on your next eating out adventure.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my dd is pretty good when we go out to eat, she gets bored and starts talking alot but other than that she sits there & eats her food, and colors on those little sheets they hand out (she's almost 3)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• we have been taking ours to restaurants since they were little babies, so they pretty much know what is ok and what isnt. the only times we really have problems is when they are about 1 and 2yrs old. after that they get it. we just always go prepared, for the baby we have her bottle and little snacks that she eats and the older two love to color and thankfully all the places we eat at have coloring pages so that keeps them happy.

tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son knows what is appropriate, and he knows I will haul his little butt out to the car if he doesn't follow the rules. He never really was one for public scenes though. He realizes people might be looking at him, and gets embarrassed. So I think it is against his nature to act up in public. But, my daughter will most likely be a whole different story. She is 15 months old, but has a natural little attitude already. I can't wait till she is 15! That will be so much fun!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My kids are well behaved when we go out even the baby. I have 7 kids and we eat out on Friday nights and Sunday after church. My kids are used to sitting at our table at home and using table manners so when we eat out they behave the same way. They are silly and we chat it up they do sit still and are not all over the place. When staff at nice restaurants see us coming you can see the eyerolls. By the time we leave they are always complimenting on how wonderful our kids are. We don't leave a mess my kids are neat eaters and have table manners even my 2 year old. At home eat at the table and start working on their behavior there. If they cannot sit still at home why would they in a restaurant. If my kids try to get up repeatdly during a meal they are clearly not hungry and are excused from the table they do not get anything else to eat till the next meal time. They learned to sit and eat even my 2 year old. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Our 2 & 3 yr olds are a joy to take out. they are very quiet & well behaved and never cause any trouble. We've even had people come over and tell us how they enjoyed having dinner next to us and our children. Our 2 older children were well behaved when we went out also.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I definately know what you mean. Even when its just me and my husband. They both act like they don't have to listen to us and makes a big mess, doesn't eat and trys to run off. I get tired of it but we still go out. I figure that they will grow out of it hopefully one day. Or I can just keep on wishing that. lol
    vlukey

Answer by vlukey at 11:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2009