How can I encourage DD to eat faster?

My almost 4-year-old daughter is a crazy slow eater. This is usually not a problem, except at breakfast time. I cannot count the days we have been late to preschool because she eats so incredibly slowly.

Right now she is sitting here eating a sliced apple in slow motion. Is there anything I can do about this, or am I resigned to waking her up at 6am just so she gets enough breakfast in her tummy before it's time to leave?

ellavision

Asked by ellavision at 9:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• talk to the preschool and see if it's ok for her to bring her breakfast with her. If it is then what she hasen't finished goes into a container and off to preschool. She can sit there and eat as slowly as she wants. She'll see she's missing out on playing and other fun activiites. Then she'll either start eating faster or not finish eating what she's left. That's fine she won't starve and lunch is not too long after.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My son did that when he was that age. We gave him a set amount of time, if he didn't finish, it was taken away. Plain and simple. We didnt' expect him to gulp his food, but at the same time, we expected him to eat in a reasonable amount of time
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't send it with her. I am adamant that I have given my DD and my nieces enough time to eat their food. 30 or mins is very sufficient at that age. If they can't finish then they will learn in the future that they need to eat a little faster or they won't get to finish. After 30 mins most kids have lost interest in what they were eating anyways. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We've had to set a time limit before, too. On weekends or days when you don't have anything going on, it may be okay, but on days when she KNOWS you have stuff going on, she needs to stay focused and just eat. Make sure the TV is off or if you're watching the news or something that she can't see it from where she's sitting. The rule in our house on school mornings is "No TV until breakfast is done and you're completely ready for school." I've sent my kids to school hungry (and sent notes with them explaining the morning to the teachers) because they wouldn't eat fast enough, or were playing around.
    Good Luck!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2009