Quad screening?

I had my 2nd OB appointment yesterday and the doc said that I needed to go get more blood work to test the baby for spina bifida, down's syndrome and whatever else. Now, my doc really was just like, you need to go get this blood work, sign here. When I got home, I called my mom to let her know how my appt. went and she said that i could have refused that test & that those tests can come up with a false positive and if it's positive, they would push for me to have an abortion, which i would want to in that situation, because i don't feel that i have the means to support a child with an affliction like that, but if there's a chance of it being a false positive? Now i don't know if i want to get the blood work done. My mom said she didn't have that done with me, my brother or sister. Advice?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 10:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally know two people that had that done with false positives.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• False positives are EXTREMELY common. If it did come back positive they would probably suggest an amniocentesis, which carries a 1% or so chance of Miscarriage. Did they draw your blood for it already? If you've already done paperwork for it or whatever you may have missed your chance to decline.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I didn't get that testing done. I feel that if God wants to give me a baby with special needs that i would be able to handle it (i have a sister with spina bifita sp?) and she is able to do the things that normal kids do with little restrictions (she also has alot of other problems and has to have surgry every 6 mo) There is a VERY high rate of having false negatives and alot of the testing that they do to verify it which i think is an amnio not completly sure though also has a high rate of miscarriages. I think the first thing that they do is do the blood work and if it comes back abnormal then they do an ultrasound and if still cannot be verified then they go for further testing.
    av0531

Answer by av0531 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't agree with the testing. It's not accurate and I would choose to keep my baby regardless.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• By the way, my oldest son has Down Syndrome and one of my nieces has Spina Bifida, and I am completely sickened that you could so nonchalantly speak of killing your own child because they wouldn't fit the mold of "perfection".
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My sister was told her baby would have DS and doctors were advising her to abort, but she was born perfectly normal. My doctor just gave me an order to get that done as well, but to me it's more like to prepare not that I would want to get rid of a precious life. I don't see anything wrong with getting blood work done. What I think is wrong is when doctors want to play God and tell you to abort just b/c they THINK your baby might have an abnormality.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• To Dedicated - Screw you & I don't even care if my profile gets deleted because of this. That's not why I would do that, you uniformed not-nice word. I am 21 and have absolutely no financial means to support a child with a disability. Not to mention that I do not have the time, as this pregnancy was unexpected & I happen to be in the middle of college, which I cannot stop. On top of that, I do not think I am wise or emotionally stable enough to provide the kind of home a child with a disability would need. I'm really upset and confused about this test, and just wanted advice, not someone on a fu*%ing high horse telling me that I'm wrong.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Oh, and no, they did not draw my blood yet - I was very unaware that I could refuse the test. I did sign whatever paperwork they told me to. If I knew I could have refused it, I would, but my doc was not that informative.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• and that's supposed to say uniNformed.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I was preg. with our 3 baby when I was 41. I had some tests and they came back pos for a high probability of a defect with chromosome 18 or 19 (can't remember) We were referred to a high risk specialist who said this defect is not compatable with survival, meaning, if this defect was present, our son would die in utero or shortly after birth. He wanted to do an amnio right then. We opted to wait, because we knew there is a small risk of miscarriage following an amnio, and if they were wrong and he was gonna be fine we didn't think it was worth the risk. The results were wrong and Micah was perfect.
    You do not have to have ANY of the tests they offer to you! They are wrong more than right and only cause a lot of stress and unnecessary worry. What's gonna be will be. Every child deserves life & love and has something to offer the world whether they have a birth defect or not.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2009