Quilting. How hard is it too learn?

3rdtymsthecharm

Asked by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Quilting is easy and fun. Come join us www.cafemom.com/group/627 or type Quilting Moms into the group search.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It is addictive too! Soon, you'll have stacks of fabric you may never use, but they sure look great. lol.

Pick up a quilting mag in the grocery store and find a simple pattern. One with mostly squares and rectangles would be easiest for a beginner. Then follow the instructions.

A book about quilting would be better. It will help you with cutting fabric a lot more than a mag, but is a lot more expensive too. Or you can go to the library and borrow a quilting book.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ooh, you could also pick up a quilt kit at a quitling store, or a craft store like JoAnn's. It will have all the pieces for the quilt top already cut. All you have to do is sew them into the pattern.

Again, pick a simple pattern. Don't try curves yet. Just squares and rectangles will be the easiest. But triangles aren't too bad. They just get wonky really easy.

My favorite quilting mag is Quilter's Home. But I usually don't care for the quilt patterns in it. It is just good reading.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• oh caspers I already have tons of fabric i dont' have a use for. I sew but i've never tryed a quilt
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 6:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If you already know how to sew, quilting will be a breeze for you! (Although if you are a perfectionist, it may take a couple quilts to perfect your binding and such!)
    FriendlyJas

Answer by FriendlyJas at 10:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• LOL. The bottom of my closet if full of those plastic carts with drawers full of fabric. Fabric of every kind. I have found ebay to be the enemy of my checking account. But I love it! I have found some really unique fabrics there.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It's easy if you start simple. I started (and still only make) baby quilts because they are easy and quick and gratifying. Start with large squares and just practice sewing in a straight line. I laugh so hard at my seams in my first quilts. They are all over the place but the kids still use them. I taught myself to sew AFTER I learned to quilt and that was after I taught myself how to use my mom's sewing machine. She died before she got to show me. My first quilts were in her honor and for my cousin who had a baby a couple months after my mom died (3 of us were pregnant and 2 of us had babies before she died and we each got quilts but the 3rd missed out so I made her one from my mom).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2009