How much money has come out of your pocket so far to send your child to Public Schools?

I know we all agree that Public Schools are financed with our taxes and we should expect it to be free of charge. But I was wondering if you get letters from the school asking for donations, fees, materials and supplies money, or maybe were you asked for paper towels, tissues etc. We recently got a letter asking for $60 for summer school trips fees. So far we have spent $1,940.00 including my son's lunch which I have to send every day because of his allergies.
How much has come out of your pocket?

By the way this is sonly for this school year it adds up you know....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• What happen to equial opportunity. Mine go to public school. I agree a list needs to be sent out sooner. I have 4 kids in school. I pay for a lot too. But I do see a lot of kids that don't have much. Teachers ask for so much and the go into detail. My high schooler had to have 1/2" 11/2' &2' binders. She has 6 classes. Plus all the other stuff (basic things). She had one class that cost my almost $100 dollars in supplies. I think if the shcool offers a class some things should be supplied example art class. I have passed down used school supplies to one of my daughters freind because she is poor. I don't remember school like this. But I wasn't a parent and thins are different. One a dfferent but same note. I remember drivers training was free when I went. This yr. for my 15 yr it is $350. I ask you what about the ppl who can't pay for things like a basic education in a public school? What will our future look like?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I dont think the govenment should pay for their lunches. I have no idea how much i have spent...Book fees, field trips, school supplies, lunch money..all just part of being parents. I pay to send my dd to a Christian school and we only get $500 back on taxes for paying for her education. So is $500 all the government is giving the schools per child? I doubt it, It costs over $5000/ per student/per year to educate a child when you figure teacher salaries, utilities, paper, copier, repair bills, Janitors... I know we think it should be free but the things you mentioned really shouldnt be free (except some of the school supplies)..we should have to pay for lunches and field trips and our childs pencils, tissues, folders, glue...Hope this is cming across as rude, but I think it is ok for parents to pay something for education.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• about what seems a million dollars.i wold send her to private school but she has a learning dis.i just spent money on her pictures for the second time this year.(i thought they only did it once)and i also got a email to send some money in for a end of the yr gift for the teacher.i did not give much though i love this teacher she puts the good name in teaching.so i wanted to get something personal for her also...which is more money...(thats not to say how much money you pay for summer activities.my question is what about the families that cant afford this.(with all the lay offs)there is a girl in our girl scout troop whos dad was laid off/we said we would all pitch in and pay for somethings.she wouldnt have this so now we sneek it in,but not everyone has this kind of money.hmmm
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• In California we paid nothing and did not have to provide any school supplies. We got what we paid for too. The school was just awful. The teachers were typical unionized Californians and were there to indoctrinate the kids in liberalism and collect their paycheck. My son learned very little at school. We pulled him out and home schooled until we moved to Iowa. His school here cost a bit and I had to provide supplies. Property taxes and state taxes are high. We get a lot more. My sons teacher is fabulous. I have felt my son was gifted for a while now in Cali they said it was pointless to find out they did not have the funds to help him. This school not only tested him but had him in the enrichment program days after he started at this school. He likes school finally and is excited to go. This school is wonderful and worth the extra taxes and I enjoy helping with fund raisers. I don't mind spending more here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i pay 10 grand a year.. but my kids only attend private school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Between school supplies & field trips & pictures & fund raisers--a lot! But that is ok. I expect to pay for things & the school is wonderful. My only complaint is that I wish they would publish the supply lists earlier in the summer. Most teachers are very picky on what the kids bring (as far as a certain size crayon box or a certain brand of pencil) so I am scared to buy stuff without the list. But with 5 kids to prepare for the new school year, it hits really hard in August.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• OP: "I know we all agree that Public Schools are financed with our taxes and we should expect it to be free of charge."

Sorry, we don't all agree with this statement; it sounds like you want me to pay more taxes so your child can go on trips and get free school supplies. If you are paying taxes, then do you want your taxes raised so all kids can go on field trips? If you don't pay taxes, do you think everyone else should pay more so your child can go on field trips? Remember, not everyone pays taxes, so the people that do would likely be paying more than the cost for just one child. I believe parents should be responsible for some costs. Also, I don't believe lunches are a cost of going to school; they would eat even if schools did not exist.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• we have spent a lot. goodbye public school (as of monday) homeschool for us. we will not be back to your bloodsucking brainwashing ways.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• No idea how much we've actually spent, but the hand is always out for something. It all makes me crazy because we do pay such high taxes (9.25% here). But the city/state is always pulling education funding. Not only did I supply my child's items, but we were asked to contribute additional items for children whose parents would not be able to afford supplies. Then at the end of the year we were asked to bring in supplies to be used in that teacher's classroom next year. We paid out of pocket for every field trip and gas money for the busses even though riding the bus was mandatory for the child to attend the trip, even if a driving parent was chaperoning the trip. There were 5 fundraisers. And I sent lunch everyday because I wasn't going to have my child eat the trash provided by the school for $2.30 every day. I also had to provide class snack twice a month. We provided tissues for the whole class, cleaning wipes, etc.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It costs $75 to register your kids in elementary school where I live. This doesn't include school supplies or uniforms (which all of our public schools require).

I homeschool so I spend about $60 a year on each child's books. We obviously don't wear uniforms or need a ton of school supplies. And we take free field trips whenever we want ;)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009