Ever had to have an external version for your breech baby?

Could you tell me everything about the experience? I go in next week to have it done and I just want to be prepared. Was it successful?

nicholelpb

Asked by nicholelpb at 10:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've never had one but I personally would try a few other things first because External Version comes with a LOT of risk including but not limited to ruptured uterus! That's why they have to do them in a hospital in case they have to rush you into the OR for an emergency c-section and uterine repair.

Since you don't go in until next week I would try a few things in the mean time. Two f the MOST affective things I've heard of are:

-Visit www.spinningbabies.com (I personally did the Breech Inversion from off of my couch and then laying in the smaller Version on my floor. My baby flipped after just a few times of doing this!)

-Go to a chiropracter for the Webster Technique to be preformed. This technique is around 85-90% effective when done by an experianced chiropracter verses the External version which is only about 35-40% effective. AND the Webster Technique comes WITHOUT risk!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Other things you can try at home are:

-Propping pillows under your hips in bed or on the floor to elevated your hips off the ground enough to where your hips are higher than the rest of you. Laying like this for 30 minutes a few days in a row has been very sucessful for many women.

-Place a bag of frozen peas where the baby's head is. The cold will encourage the baby to turn away from it because the baby doesn't like his head being cold.

-Use a flash light and slowly move it from where your baby's head is down toward the cervix. It may take a few times but many babies will follow the light because they think it's something to play with! :)

-Place soft classical music to your lower abdomen. The baby may move toward the sound because they are interested and find it comforting.

-Record your own voice and play it or have dad (or whoever else is around you daily) talk, sing or read to your lower abdomen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would try everything that Anonymous posted before doing the external. It is very high risk and i told my doctor when i was preg with my dd who was breech if she gonna turn on her own then she can stay breech... This is off Webmd.com:

~Potential risks of version, for which the fetus and mother are closely monitored, include:

Twisting or squeezing of the umbilical cord, reducing blood flow and oxygen to the fetus.
    The beginning of labor, which can be caused by rupture of the amniotic sac around the fetus (premature rupture of the membranes, or PROM).
    Placenta abruptio, rupture of the uterus, or damage to the umbilical cord. The potential exists for such complications, but they are very rare.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 1:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2009