Do you know anyone with a pet pot bellied pig?

There is a lady that is selling them where I live. I have read up on them adn they seem to be pretty much between a cat and dog as far as cleaniness and manners, etc...
These pigs will be around 50lbs full grown.
They are not the tea cup piglets but a mini type.
We went to see them and are deciding if he would be right for our family.
Just curious as to what you may know that would help in our decision.
Thanks!

JLynn0871

Asked by JLynn0871 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Years ago we knew someone who had one, he had to build a special pen for when he let him outside because they have a habit of really digging up the yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My husband's family had one-- he stayed outside. Their hooves really dig into the dirt, so you can't let them wander in your gardens-- they'll inadvertently crush and grind things up. He was really cute, ate out of their hands, and let his displeasure be known when he was unhappy-- like when they took easter eggs away from him during the hunts. :)

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I should have mentioned these pigs are litter trained and she keeps them inside her home. If we decide, we will keep him in about half the time and the other will be outside. He was SO cute. It was hard not bringing him home. He layed there on his side while I scratched him and he got in my lap and layed down and I fed him corn. She had a bandana on his neck to. He had such a sweet demeanor. I just want more info and not alot of people have pigs!!!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yes, potbellied pigs can live indoors...you can train them to potty outside just like a dog, but they have VERY sensitive skin that can EASILY burn so I would never let one outside for long periods of time...they are great pets, not recommended if you have a dog b/c they don't really fight back and dogs tend to go for their ears and chew on them...they are very clean and you can just make a bed right next to yours for him to sleep....just so you know, potbellied pigs are typically 200-250 pounds. I know that people sell them as "mini" but this is not natural and it's usually from them being underfed....it's kinda sad but just feed him a good diet and please keep him indoors. He will be a great family pet if you do...also, in my city, we have quite a few at our local shelters...have you checked them out and thought about possible saving one's life that might already be potty trained and used to a family? good luck=)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I want a pig so darn bad but my dogs wouldn't stand for it.

Plus all my husband keeps saying is how his uncle had one and it ate his furnace, LOL.

But if you do get one post some pictures! Pigs are adorable!
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I have to make my decision by lunch today. I am kinda scared!!!!
    I will post pics if I do!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• these pigs should really be on a farm. My step-brother's mother runs the largest pig sanctuary in the world (true! Its right here in wa state). Its called Peace Pigs San http://sharepoint/sites/smsgmbcpmo/Lists/GMP%20Change%20Requests/AllItems.aspx

Please re-consider getting a pig. They need 100% companionship. They are not like dogs and cats.
    They are EXTREMELY smart and will learn to open your refridgerator, cabinets and everything else regardless of child-locks.

Pigs belong on a farm. Its just inhumane to keep them on under 1 acre of land and with pig friends.

I'm so glad you asked for advice before making your decision. OVER 90% of pigs brought home are abandoned, put to sleep or given to a "farm" b/c the owner decides they can not have them after all. Again, pigs need companionship (they're a LOT like elephants in that they remember ppl and other animal friends). A sad and lonely pig is just not humane.

Jennille

Answer by Jennille at 6:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Here's a link to their direct site for your research: http://pigspeace.org/main/faq.html
    Jennille

Answer by Jennille at 7:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009