Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Anyone deal with these? What causes them? How can you make them go away without seeing a doctor?

I have auditory and visual hallucinations that are getting worse. However, I only hear music and see bugs. But I don't want to talk to a doctor about it because I have this fear that they would want to commit me since I am a SAHM to 2 little boys.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Health

Answers (8)
  • i don't think they will commit you, i'm sure there is medicine to help with that. can i ask what a sahm is? and if you have 2 little boys, maybe you ought to get this problem fixed asap.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • I think you should go to a doctor immediatley.My Uncle has them, they dont go away, he needs medication. I dont think this will go away on its own. As far as not wanting to be commited, if your hallucinations get worse, you can loose a grip on reality and possibly hurt your children. Go to the Doctor, NOW!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • The best thing you can do for your kids is to seek medical help. It is not likely they would want to commit you since you are not a danger to yourself or others. (yet). You have a neurological problem that is causing you to see and hear things. You may have something putting pressure on the part of your brain that causes hallucinations. You should really be seen and treated. You need to ask for a CT and a MRI to make sure you don't have anything pressing on your brain. You will not do your kids any good if you are sick. You will scare them into being scared of you if they notice you having hallucinations. It is only a matter of time before they notice, don't think they won't.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • Please see a doctor, what happens when you are driving with your children and you see a huge bug on you and freak out and crash??? That could be very dangerous. There are treatments for this sort of thing, please don't just try to ignore the problem.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • Go see a dr NOW!!!my cousin was getting halucinations and she HAD A BRAIN TUMOR!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • OP here - The only reason I am worrying about it now is because of the frequency. I use to get them once a week to once a month. But now the visual ones are near daily but the auditory ones are still infrequent. I have had this problem as long as I can remember and I have only ever told my husband about it. He use to hear voices (still does randomly) too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • Since they are coming more frequently, it means what ever is wrong with you, is getting worse. Usually when something like this happens, unfortunately it could mean a tumor. You need to have a ct or mri done to figure out what is going on. You need to ask about a brain scan to see what is going on in your head when you have a hallucination. There is some kind of technology that can figure out where in your brain the problem exists. Have you watched Grey's Anatomy? Izzy had the same problem you do. Visions of a person she knew, voices of other people, seeing birds over peoples head. She had a brain tumor and they could pin point where the hallucinations were coming form in her brain, (yes I know it's tv but their is truth behind it). If you don't get some help you could leave your children motherless and your husband a widower. You need to get help TODAY!!! They won't commit you unless you are a danger.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • Definitely get checked out. This doesn't sound like something you'll instantly be committed for so don't sweat that. You do need to find out what's causing them though. I have the exact same symptoms but they're from other mental health disorders, not psychosis. Good luck!

    Answer by krisr169 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.