What are your thoughts on using a midwife/doula or doctor in the hospital or using both?

It'll be my third time around and I'm curious about the midwife thing. Anyone have any experiences to share, good or bad?

iluvmommyhood58

Asked by iluvmommyhood58 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have found that a lot more depends on the individual than their professional title. My oldest was totally natural, no meds or interventions, delivered by our family practice doctor. She absolutely felt that birth was natural and normal and 90% of the time required no medical assistance, and her role was to be my cheerleader and to be there in case that 10% chance came up. I had a midwife with my second who recommended just about every intervention short of C-section under the sun and it was the most medical-ized of all my births. I had a different midwife with my third who was much more natural-birth minded. I recommend to do your own research on common procedures and interventions, and go into a search for a provider for this pregnancy armed with knowledge, and find a provider whose views on birth and interventions match your own, whether that be an OB, a family practice Dr or a midwife.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I just have one baby, and I had a Dr./Hospital birth.
    But I really want to look into a midwife next time around...I've heard great things about them...
    I'll keep an eye on your question!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have had two births in a hospital. I will never have a baby in a hospital again.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You might want to check out some of the natural birthing groups. I always read such amazing stories from women who have birthed at home with a midwife, and even some amazing UCs.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think go with what you are comfy with. If you find a dr you love, use them. If you find a midwife/doula you adore then have them be there for you.

Its really none of my concern what others do, as long as they are focused on whats best for their baby thats all that really matters.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with a pregnancy, even if everything SEEMS to be all well and good. A doula or midwife is not equipped to help me and/or my child in case of an emergency, so it's not a risk I'm willing to take.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would have had a midwife if I could have afforded one. I would have kept my doctor as well though, just for safety's sake.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Our midwives work directly under the supervision of an OB.Are you thinking that all midwives do home births or at birthing centers?You can have a midwife oversee your pregnancy/birth and get the same level of care as an OB.They will just spend alot more time with you during your labor and in my opinion,take better care of the total woman,not just the pregnancy.You can birth in the hospital and have access to all you would with an OB,drugs and all if you choose!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think if I did go with midwife, it would be in addition to doctor and in a hospital. I also think about what could go wrong...
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• With my daughter I gave birth in a hospital with a midwife. I am expecting my 2nd child and I will be doing the same thing again. This way I believe you get the best of both worlds! A midwife has less patients than an OB and they take the time to get to know you and what you want. All of my appointments are about 45mins long and she really takes her time answering my questions and concerns and giving me all the info I need, I never feel rushed and she always knows my name. When I go into labor, she will come to my house and check me and tell me when it's time to go to the hospital. When we arrive at the hospital we get a room right away. If anything goes wrong there is an OB there to step in and pain meds are available. After the baby is born a midwife comes to your house for well-baby check ups and will come help with breastfeeding an OB will not do this. Overall I think the level of care with a midwife is higher.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 11:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2009