My kids & pets get blamed for everything...Help!

We live in a neighborhood with lots of kids & lots of family pets. We are definitely part of the group as we have 5 kids, 3 dogs, & a cat. Unfortunately, the house next door to us is occupied by an older woman with no children or animals in her house. She is obsessive about noise control & people on her lawn. And we get blamed for everything! If any child in the neighborhood touches her grass, she comes over & tell me my kids were in her yard (never mind that my kids were inside). If any dog in the neighborhood barks, she will come pound on our door telling us to shut up our dogs. How do I tell this woman that not everything is our fault? I don't want to start a fight but my kids don't go in her yard & my dogs don't bark that often. I'm tired of being blamed for everything just because we live next door & have a big family. It makes me wonder who she blamed before we moved in!!! I need help being nice here.

funnyface1204

Asked by funnyface1204 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you should tell her exactly what you said in your post. "Not everything is your fault I don't want to start a fight but my kids don't go in your yard & my dogs don't bark that often. I'm tired of being blamed for everything just because we live next door & have a big family."
    Being nice is wonderful but there comes a time when you just have to be honest. She will probably be shocked into silence to see you stand up for yourself. And it will show your kids that you will not allow someone to walk all over you. A great lesson for them. We all need to stand up for ourselves sometimes.
    lynda5

Answer by lynda5 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• The next time she complains tell her it wasn't your kids or your pets so go complain to someone else and shut the door in her face.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Don't answer the door. And if you do decide to answer the door, let her know that your children have been inside playing, etc, and that she has the wrong kids/dogs. Then shut the door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree with Lynda5. Someone like her will probably not respond to the nice avenue as much as you want her too. Tell her that while you understand that she is having problems with some of the neighborhood kids and pets, those kids aren't your kids and the dogs aren't your dogs. We had neighbors like this when we were younger. There were only a handful of kids in our neighborhood, and some of the kids would sneak into this man's yard and throw rocks at his dogs, and ride bikes through his garden. He always assumed it was us since we lived right next door. Finally one day my dad told him that instead of wasting his time talk to us about, he needed to go find who was actually doing it. The kids on the other side of us, didn't have a good explanation for their whereabouts when this happened, so they ended up taking the brunt of the man's rage after that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Do you own your home? I would not even give her the time of day. If she thinks things are that out of control let her call the police and watch them laugh at her.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009