What to expect from WIC?

I'm a first time mom, and I am, as of today, 6months pregnant. Medicaid has been screwing up, so I have just now got it. But today is my app. with WIC, and everyone is telling me that I will need it. Why? Does anyone on here have WIC? What should I expect?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah i have wic. Your first app, they ask you a billion and one questions. They take your weight, and your hieghth.

They poke you! To check your iron, and then print you out WIC checks. With these you can go to the store and get things like Milk, eggs, cheese, cereal ect. (whatever is listed on your checks)

When your baby is born if you plan to breast feed what you can get normally stays the same but they add like carrots and tuna.

If you plan to formula feed, then you can get 9 cans of formula a month. Juice and cereal when the baby is 6 months. Plus you still get Milk eggs cheese and cereal untill you are 6 months post partum.

But you WONT NEED it if you are completly financially stable and can afford formula and everythin gon your own. If you can not, they are there to help. Good luck!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:17 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• WIC give you essential food items that you need, like milk, cheese, eggs, juice, peanut butter, beans, cereal... They give you vouchers that you take to the grocery store (i.e., one voucher will be for 2 gallons of milk, one for a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, and 16 oz of cheese, etc.), and you use them as payment. It's not necessarily enough to last the whole month, but it's to give you a good nutritional basis so you and your baby are as healthy as possible. You don't necessarily NEED it if you can afford to buy these things yourself, and it's only about $40 of stuff per month (if you end up formula-feeding, you'll definitely want the baby to be on it, though, they cover about $150+ of formula), but every little bit helps, and you qualify automatically if you're on Medicaid.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i used to have wic, and its a pretty cool program to have. as a pregnant mother, you will receive stuff like milk, eggs, tuna, carrots, all for free to keep you healthy during pregnancy. they will constantly monitor your weight but keep in mind they go by guidelines so if they tell you you are gaining too much or too little, only listen if your doctor is telling you the same. when baby comes, you will still be on it for a while and the baby will receive FREE formula which is a blessing with the price of formula! as he or she gets older, they add infant cereal, juice, milk, etc. the only annoying thing to me was the looks i got in line by people behind me because of having to use separate checks for separate items. i just ignored it
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am on wic right now.. as a matter of fact i am just bout to head out the door to go to a wic class. wic is a very good program to be on when u are preg.. i would recommand u get on it..
    babymama8787

Answer by babymama8787 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• if you plan on formula feeding..WIC gives oyu alll you need..for awhile...its AWESOME> cuz formula is EXPENSIVE!!! but its nothing but a nutrition based program..nothing too serious..youll get a ton of milk...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i am on wic and i know they are getting ready to change the vouchers to ADD more to the "exclusively breastfed" package....like right now i get 3 vouchers a month and so in addition to the regular stuff they are adding fresh fruits and veggies! as soon as my son hits 6 months he gets the rice cereal and he will get baby food too...all in all it helps us out alot because we cant afford childcare so i am a SAHM and it is a lot of weight of our shoulders!
    mlmartinez

Answer by mlmartinez at 11:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We've had WIC since I was pregnant with my oldest. It helps out a lot on groceries!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Well the provide you with nutritional classes and in return they give you vouchers for cheese, milk, eggs, juice, cereal, peanut butter or beans and in some areas farmer's market vouchers.

When you breastfeed, which WIC encourages you to do, than you get food for longer and you get more food such as extra milk, and cheese plus tuna and carrots.

They will also provide you with a FREE double electric name brand breastpump when you return to work or school and a free name brand hand pump just for planning to breastfeed! They provide you with breastfeeding help when you need it and lots of information on pregnancy and infant nutrition.
    Anonymous

• In august they are adding baby food to WIC here in IL. I am on WIC as well..pretty much everyone has answered your question but i figured id throw out the possibility of where you live you might get the same as well

km08km05ca06

Answer by km08km05ca06 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009