has anyone ever started breastfeeding when baby is older?

My sister-in-law wants to try to breastfeed now that my nephew is 3 weeks old. Has anyone ever done this? I breastfed mine from day 1 so I don't know how difficult this will be...but I don't believe its going to be easy. I want to help her succeed....any advice? any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got off to a rocky start breastfeeding my 7-week-old. She had to stay in the hospital for the first 10 days of her life, and I was only able to even try breastfeeding at night, and it was hard for her to get the hang of it. We didn't really get into our groove and start breastfeeding well until she was about 2 or 2 1/2 weeks old, and now it's going fine, she won't even take a bottle. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to get her milk supply up since the baby's so young still, but the best thing to do is just to stick with it, don't let her get discouraged, which I know can happen all too easily. Get the number for a lactation consultant, encourage her to talk to them, they're lifesavers; tell her what's worked for you and help her find what works for her as far as positions and schedules go. But basically...tell her to just hang in there. It's worth it. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group. I'd give you info here but I'm nak. She should also get in touch with LLL and a lactation consultant. at 3 weeks it will be relativly easy.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes she can! Have her read the info on the La Leche League site on Relactation

She can also call a Local LLL leader who will help her get baby breastfeeding.  The sooner she does it the eaasier it will be to bring in a full milk supplly.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009