I need some advice on makeup and my 12 year old girl.

Our daughter is starting to create issues in our marriage. She is 12 and wants to wear eye liner. I've taken her from dark black to brown, but it still just infuriates my husband that she wears this eye make-up. We live in LA where the girls are too sophisticated for their age and it seems the norm to let your daughter wear make-up.

kbspearl

Asked by kbspearl at 11:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• maybe if you could teach her how to wear it so it looks natural he'd be more willing to allow it. or if it was something other than eye liner. just sit down talk to him and ask him what he would be willing to allow her to wear and just compromise from there.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think makeup is ok, but in moderation. maybe agree on neutral colors and not let her wear too much. Tinted lip gloss..some mascara. Try to talk to your husband about it..he will have to face his baby growing up sooner or later.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Have her wear it light not too drastic and or only lipgloss with a frost pink to it. No more no less.
    I think that is fair atleast until 13 to 14 then she'll be good until 16.............GL
    I have a dh just like that with our daughter...let's get ready for the long ride on daughter's...dreadding it.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• O.K. I'm gonna take a bit harsher line on this. If he is absolutely opposed to this, even with lighter colors worn better, then you have to back him. I say this because you and he are the authority, If she learns she can play one against the other she will, and it will be for bigger issues than makeup.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You most definately should not "just back him up" on it. You two should sit down, decide on a compromise. And then bring it to her together. He should allow some and you should make her lighten it some. Equal. And, a 12 y/o should be able to wear a little lipgloss and mascara or eyeliner. Maybe not a whole made up face, but a little color.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am siding with your DH on this subject..JMO,,12 is to young..Girls grow up th fast..16 is a good age..You and your DH should sit down and agree on this.

Answer by louise2 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My DD's are twins 7 and a 5 year old.
    We are teaching them that
    Pretty Girls do not need makeup...
    I was 13 when I started wearing makeup...and looking back I looked stupid...hell what did I know..
    In my home it would have to be a mutual deal...meaning if your hubby does not agree...it
    would not be happening...
    You live in a different place than us...alittle different I would think...we are from the East Coast..
    I would believe alot different...
    anyway I would have to side with your husband..
    If both of you do not agree with the makeup...then there should not be any makeup..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Sorry, I am with your husband on this one. NO 12 year old needs to be wearing any makeup. She can wait until she starts high school before she wears makeup. I see many kids this age that look like clowns and act like they are adults because of the clothes and makeup they wear.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Most of the girls who put on makeup make themselves up to look skanky. I have to agree with your husband in that she doesn't need it.
    Anonymous

• When i was 12 i only got to wear makeup to dances and parties..didnt get to wear it til freshman year in high school..but when i went to parties my mom did my eyes so they werent Over done...she taught me how...shes gonna feel left out and different if she doesnt get to do it..but your husbands gonna have to understand that shes a girl..shes gonna grow up EVENTUALLY...family talk is def. needed. someones going to have to compromise..you and hubby need to be on the same page, whicheever that may be. You realize she could just go to school and put it on when she gets there right? <>
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009