Positive hpt but neg bood test ,WHY??????????????

I posted the pictures in my photo albums. They are the new dollar store early test. One is from Tuesday ( that line was there before 5 minutes ) the other one is from Wed. (line again there before 5 minutes). I was suppose to see a dr about my knee . I was suppose to have exrays in his office. That is why I tested. I am not due for AF until Sun. But thought what the heck and tested. What would you do or think?????

luvbabies33

Asked by luvbabies33 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• blood tests are more accurate the pregnancy tests. Since you said you used new dollar store.. maybe they are defaulted.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Most likely, and I hate to say it, an early miscarriage. It is very hard to get a false positive on any test. Finding something that isn't there is next to impossible. So it's either a false negitive on the blood test or an early miscarriage.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• there are 2 different types of blood pregnancy test.

the QUALITATIVE blood tests are just like urine tests....they only tell you yes or no, and if your levels aren't high enough the test won't detect the hormone. Since you wait for the first morning urine to get the highest concentrate of hormone, it isn't uncommon that if it is early you will test negative on a blood test, because you can't get a "concentrated" blood sample.

Then there is the QUANTITATIVE blood test, which actually shows/measures the level of hormone and tells you how far along you are.

When preparing for a surgury, the doctor only does the qualitative to see if you are or are not. So if it was too early, then it wouldn't have shown.

2 positive tests don't lie...congratulations!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Oh, and I work in a lab, in case you are wondering where my info came from. Its from experience.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thanks so much. I wished my dr would have been more specific as to which test he ordered. I don't know. I asked his receptionist and she just said, " he said it was neg, and that was all!!!" She would have told me is she would have know any more. My dr is an OB and they sometimes forget that we know more than they would like to give us credit. That and they just get so busy, they don't give the full story. It was refreshing to here from someone who works in a lab. The test was taken at 2 in the afternoon and right after lunch.
    luvbabies33

Answer by luvbabies33 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I looked at the pics and only saw one line. Isn't there suppose to be two?
    mylittlemonkee

Answer by mylittlemonkee at 1:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Hun, I'm sorry to tell you this but I looked at your pictures, that first line, and ONLY line you have on those tests are the test line, it will ALWAYS show up to prove the test is working, the second window, in the circle shape next to it will ALSO get a line if you are pregnant! There is NO line in that second window, not even a faint one....all those dollare store tests were Negative! 1 line = NOT pregnant, 2 lines = Pregnant!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am looking in the circle not the control line. The line is faint down the center. It is on both tests. I know the pictures are not real clear but that is the best I could do.
    luvbabies33

Answer by luvbabies33 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Sorry hun, but I still don't see any lines in the second window....even in the pics you did that are like negatives I don't see anything. If you swear you see them you have to understand that most hpt's even say that after 5-10 minutes a very faint line can form there simply from urine being wet on the stick for awhile but if it doesn't happen within the 5 minutes it's NOT a positive!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I'd take another hpt and see if you get a darker line. If you do get a darker line, then maybe it was too early for the qualitative blood test to show positive. If not, then either you had an early miscarriage or chemical pregnancy (I hope not, but it is pretty common), or maybe the lines were not really there (I know you see something, but maybe it's a flaw in the test design and just showing because it is wet).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009